Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it seems that my Monster does not like to ice skate! ;) Saturday AM ran into a rather large and thick patch of ice on the Crest and down we went. :eek: Not too much damage, was able to hard brake and slow down a bit before the ice, but not enough time to get the bike all the way up so it was just a bit of a lowside. It was actually quite thrilling. Think one of the most frightening aspects was hearing my bike sliding behind me. Managed to move my body somewhat to avoid being hit by the bike. Also, my helmet is new and was a gift from my daughter so held my head up for while sliding down the road. Not a scratch on the helmet. The bike needs front & rear turn signals, slight damage to the tank, handle bars are totally tweaked, front faring will need to be painted, bottom of fork has a little grind on it, small ding and grind on the can and rear peg is ground down quite a bit! There were four of us that went down and I'm the lucky one. The other three in the crew totalled their bikes and walked away! The Guardian Angels of Motorcycle riding were definitely with all of us. Alas, my beauty will be down for a week or so, but he will be up and running in no time. Not going to use insurance, so the cosmetic stuff will come with time. Wanting to change my paint job anyway....too many bikes coming out with the same kit as mine! Long story longer.....there has never been ice on this corner, even the CalTrans Snow Plower/Gravel guy said there was no ice on the whole hill except for that corner and he had never seen ice there before! Thank God for riding gear....barely a bruise on my hip where I hit the pavement, no road rash, just sore and feeling great! Can't emphasis enough that you need to always, always, always, wear full gear. Was able to ride the bike down the hill and home. Even with the handlebars tweaked my Monster handles like a dream. So all's well that ends well. Just be careful and be safe everyone!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Glad to hear you are allright. Ice in california? crazy

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a pair of good OEM front turn signals, if that's a help.
That would be way cool! It's only the right side front and back that I need and think they are OEM but would love to try them out. I'll PM you my phone number!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Holy cow! Four of y'all went down? Simultaneously? Did Reckless George and Talking Rob join the crash fest?

Glad to hear you're OK. Lowsides can be fun this way.

-R.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Glad to to hear you're ok, sorry about the bike, and congrats on saving the helmet for another ride.

Regards,
AC

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
That sucks, but at least you are allright and the bike is more or less "ok."

So it seems to me, that riding in Cali, durring the winder can be a bit of a chore. The word ICE has poped up on the majoirity of ride recaps the past few months. Is it a serious problem this time of year, or is something strange going on? Do they usually "plow" the roads.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
849 Posts
Totalled an 888, huh? :'( I think I know which Honda you're talking about the 954 that got clipped by that cager about two months back (you might not have been at Newcombs that day)?

Buddy of mine called me last night, almost in tears, after highsiding his R6 on Sepulveda. He'd just finished fixing it up from his last crash, replaced all the scratched plastics with $$ mint ones (I'd warned him not to). Luckily, he was NOT wearing the new $$ Haga replica his parents had bought him for Christmas...

-R.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! How did he highside on Sepulveda.....what a drag, hope he is ok!

The 888 was a very sad site to see totalled. Felt so bad for the guy, he doesn't have full coverage on it! YIKES!

Not the same honda, he had crashed is a few months back but at the bottom of the hill and due to new tires!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Linda -

Glad you're OK. Sorry about your bike though...

I was up in Bouquet on Saturday and it was veeery cold. I'm not surprised to hear about the ice.

- Mas

S

·
0 Posts
Crestgal:

Glad to see you made it through relatively ok. I have brake and clutck levers (not the pivot/body, just the lever, I added CRG levers) and 4 stock turning indicators. If you need any of these items, they are yours.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Linda,
Sorry to hear about your crash, sorry for the others too. :'(

Really happy to hear everyone walked away pretty much OK. Scary incident....

Take care, and I look forward to seeing you out riding again soon.

R

·
0 Posts
Wow I almost missed this post......sorry to hear about your accident.....you sound good though...I am glad.
Take care and so what's the new color scheme?

·
Registered
849 Posts
How did he highside on Sepulveda.....what a drag, hope he is ok!
When he called and said, "h-side on Sepulveda" I immediately thought of the fast sweepers between the 405 and the Ghetty. Then I thought, "naw, then I wouldn't be talking to him right now". Turns out I was right - he followed his buddy's blown Corvette out of a parking lot after dinner a bit too enthusiastically - on cold tires.

So luckily, the speed was low but the highside was big enough that it threw him off, over two lanes, he landed on his head and the bike just kinda fell on its side. Cracked and rashed fairings and tail, cracked windscreen, broken clipon and bent shifter peg. New frame sliders prevented worse. All in all, he seemed fine.

Good thing you were last in that group and you were able to slow down in time. Good thing you guys didn't crash INTO each other, too.

Take care,

-R.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Crestgal:

Glad to see you made it through relatively ok. I have brake and clutck levers (not the pivot/body, just the lever, I added CRG levers) and

S

·
0 Posts
Hey CrestGal,

glad everything is alright, after reading your post, I couldn't ignore the wonderful attitude you carry. just wonderful!

-Spaceman.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts