Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
cobra couple of questions, military flt surgeon in Wilmington? Cherry Pt I can understand, but besides USCG (and their airbase is in Elizabeth City) in the Wilm area, it seems you (with the JAG remark) would be in Camp Lejune/Cherry Pt. area.
Are you a commuter from Wilmington, just curious doc.

I'm a former naval aviator (A6, F-14), some dink like you pulled my card...just kidding! ;D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hammer, I get your point. The frustrating thing was that he represented that the bike was essentially good to go. If that would have dropped at speed, do you think you'd still be congratulating yourself on what a steal you got?

·
Registered
125 Posts
dude if you drop a bike at speed it wont matter what shape it was in beforehand! ;)

If you got that bike for less than $2700 and like it, get the casings like someone posted for $99 and have someone do the work for you. as long as the engine is dropped from the frame and you have it apart have everything checked, you'll wind up with a fresh setup. if the eng has stainless studbolts have them replaced as they are prone to breaking.

ypu could even opt to repaint the frame/tank, ect while you're at it to fully customize your bike.

sinking another 2k into a bike you paid $2700 or less for still puts you in the fair market value for the M900.

once you've strapped into a martin-baker you're always an a$$hole, goes with the territory! ;D ;)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
dude if you drop a bike at speed it wont matter what shape it was in beforehand! ;)
I think he was implying that what if he had an accident because the bike had structural problems because of this cracked engine. It is definitely a concern of mine with a load bearing engine and cracked/missing bolt passage.

mitt

·
Registered
125 Posts
mitt, notice the wink wink at the end...hint hint. :)

my main point is that if he paid $2700 or less for the bike and likes it, sinking another 2-3k into it, will give him a fresh setup and still have the bike in the fairmarket value range! most would expect to pay between $4500-5500 for that yr bike to begin with...and it more than likely wouldn't be with a fresh setup!

hell alot of us sink $$$ into our Ducatis that we'll never recoupe in a sale (we do it for the love ;)).

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I understand your point about $2000 not being a ton of money (for some people), but I still am not sure you are following what I think he meant. What if, because of a bad engine case, the swingarm broke off the bike while he was going 90mph, he hit the pavement, then was crippled for the rest of his life. Now, was $2000 a good buy? Should he feel lucky for finding it?

mitt

·
Registered
125 Posts
what if's, life is a crap shoot, you could get killed stepping out your front door. don't think i don't see your point because i do, but he has discovered it before/if anything happened (thank god for that). quite frankly should have seen that before buying.

but the price and some added rx i think the doc will have a better bike than most of us for the same price.
all i'm pointing out to winston is not to be bummed, he discovered a problem and with putting some work into the bike he'll have one probably better than most of ours at a fair market value.
showing him the silver lining so to say.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah, I probably should have seen it before I bought it. The exposed portion that you see in the picture is there because the top part became loose and came off after shooting that area with a hose while cleaning the bike. The crack you see on the other side is on the inferior aspect of the casing, but you're right. I'm still kicking myself for it. I guess I was just being very naive to rely on the words of others.

It may have been a fair deal for a broken duc, but that's not what I was shopping for. I'd like to think I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but to tackle something like that would be too optimistic. Also, I'm not sure where everyone's from, but there aren't many good shops locally to work on ducs. Believe me, I've looked and the shops are basically like "Uh, we can take a look, but...." Raleigh is 150 miles away and they are the closest dealers. Plus, I want to ride now.....this was supposed to be my first bike and I haven't gone anywhere on it.

On the plus side, the previous owner has decided to make good on the whole affair. Ideally, he would have taken back the bike and refunded my money, but instead he will be reimbursing some of it, leaving me to try to sell the bike on my own. So if anyone is interested in a project bike, let me know.

Winston

Hammer, you still flying?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That's a good question, Norm. I just got another email from the guy who sold me the bike. It sounds like he may be backing out on any reparations. I'll let you know when I square this away with Jim Perry.

Winston

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Yeah, I probably should have seen it before I bought it. The exposed portion that you see in the picture is there because the top part became loose and came off after shooting that area with a hose while cleaning the bike. The crack you see on the other side is on the inferior aspect of the casing, but you're right. I'm still kicking myself for it. I guess I was just being very naive to rely on the words of others.

It may have been a fair deal for a broken duc, but that's not what I was shopping for. I'd like to think I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but to tackle something like that would be too optimistic. Also, I'm not sure where everyone's from, but there aren't many good shops locally to work on ducs. Believe me, I've looked and the shops are basically like "Uh, we can take a look, but...." Raleigh is 150 miles away and they are the closest dealers. Plus, I want to ride now.....this was supposed to be my first bike and I haven't gone anywhere on it.

On the plus side, the previous owner has decided to make good on the whole affair. Ideally, he would have taken back the bike and refunded my money, but instead he will be reimbursing some of it, leaving me to try to sell the bike on my own. So if anyone is interested in a project bike, let me know.

Winston

Hammer, you still flying?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you need something welded I will help you. Depending on the job will be what determines how much it will cost. I have a 2008 1098 I work on and do my own services to. If you’re interested let me know and I’ll provide an email. I am enlisted with the USMC as an aviation mechanic. The maintenance with aircraft is a lot harder than working on a Ducati. If you have any questions I can certainly help you.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts