Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know this has been covered elsewhere but now can;t seem to find the post.

So new to Ducati with a 2013 659, the AU restricted version of 696 apparently.

Turn on ignition, all good. And then hit starter and screen dies like the battery is dead. Screen reboots and then I try and start again and it starts. This is in a warm-weather ares (Perth, Western Australia, summertime).

The bike is new to me so I assumed the battery was dicey. I got a battery tender which seems to see it as OK. So now, I am confused. Is this a known issue? Bike seems to run fine apart from that and the screen doesn't seem to cut in and out with vibration or anything else.

DJM

·
Registered
557 Posts
Do a load test on your battery. A maintenance charger is not a replacement for a load test. I had a similar issue, voltage after charge tested 12.8, but had I done a load test I’d have known it was a bad battery even though it accepted a charge.
Also clean your ground contact points at make sure they’re tight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do a load test on your battery. A maintenance charger is not a replacement for a load test. I had a similar issue, voltage after charge tested 12.8, but had I done a load test I’d have known it was a bad battery even though it accepted a charge.
Also clean your ground contact points at make sure they’re tight.
Ya thanks. I was hoping to not have to remove the battery as sounds like a 2 hour exercise haha
OK maybe that it a job for one evening this week...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Same same with my '13 796... the battery will 'charge' and show full, but it's capacity is what has deteriorated. Idle (no load) voltage will show correct, but as soon as you put a load on it (starter) it will discharge. And, yes, it's about a 2 hour exercise....

·
Registered
557 Posts
You don’t need to remove the battery to do a load test if you can just reach the terminals with the load tester, or even jumper wires hooked to the load tester. However, you might as well because your battery probably needs replacing anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same same with my '13 796... the battery will 'charge' and show full, but it's capacity is what has deteriorated. Idle (no load) voltage will show correct, but as soon as you put a load on it (starter) it will discharge. And, yes, it's about a 2 hour exercise....
Hmmm ok the 2 hours sounds like time well spent one evening...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don’t need to remove the battery to do a load test if you can just reach the terminals with the load tester, or even jumper wires hooked to the load tester. However, you might as well because your battery probably needs replacing anyway.
So if I can test the voltage that it drops to during cranking, through the battery tender connection, that's a load test right? OK that I can do....

·
Registered
557 Posts
No, you put a load tester on your battery terminals and flip the switch and read the meter. Loki up “battery load tester”

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look up “ battery load tester” You can buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight.
Cool thanks. Sadly outside 'merica we do not have Harbor Freight. But have looked at lead testers and cheap also on ebay etc. Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Don’t places that sell batteries check your old one for free ? A load tester is not a bad tool to have though, and even a cheap one will tell you if your battery is bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don’t places that sell batteries check your old one for free ? A load tester is not a bad tool to have though, and even a cheap one will tell you if your battery is bad.
Yep agree. Not a bad idea to have the tools and knowledge :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So just to update this. I am now an expert in removing and replacing a battery from a 696. I think I can now do it in 10 minutes probably! I got the battery out to take it for load test, but saw from the stamped code that it had a manufacturing date of 2012 (my bike is a later 2013 model). 7-8 years of use hence I assumed it's not a load test I need. Bought new battery, reinstalled, everything is all sweet now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree... after about 4 years a typical battery is just waiting to fail. In fact, I just replaced the battery in my F-150 this morning... it's... wait for it... 4 years old. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts