Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out riding yesterday (was 35 F and it felt warm...lol) and I missed a shift, I thought "no big deal...only reved up to 6 to 7 grand". Then I looked down at the tach and then noticed that it was on 1,500. I thought OK I'm in a higher gear than I wanted to be in. So I downshifted. Next thing I noticed is that no matter how much I was reving the bike, the tach never went beyond 3,500. I know the engine was running fine and the tach was wrong. Stopped to make a turn and it was down below 0.

Got home and turned the bike off and on again and everything was fine. This ever happen to anyone before?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
This happens at times with my DP tach. I keep meaning to look for a short somewhere in the line, but haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That happens to me quite often. Usually after a very long wheelie. I think either the high revving or the front wheel not being in contact with the ground confuses the tach.

Next traffic light I'll turn off and restart the bike. The tach resets and works fine until my next 'tilt' wheelie.

It freaked me out when it first happened too. Thats what is so great about this site...the exchange of information !

Ride Safe,
JJ

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re-read your post. Again...it is exactly what you describe. At idle the tach needle falls below zero. Restarting the bike resets the tach.

I was glad to hear of someone else who experienced the same.

Ride Safe,
JJ

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yep,

It's happened to me twice in the 18 months I've had the S4. Showed the dealer the second time, all he could say was that it sometimes happened and turn the bike off and on and that will reset it, it did, all happy.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks everybody! At least I know now that it is one of these little quirks that I'll just have to deal with and not my electrical system ready to go south.

JJ--how do you pull wheelies on your 750? Is it stock? I can't seem to get my wheel up...but I'm being pretty careful not to over rev it because I only have 30 miles on the bike. I'm used to my dual sport where all you have to do is turn the throtle in first gear and the wheel goes immediatly up.

This really is a great source of info. and help!

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts