Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys, so I'm having some electrical issues with my monster. The wirings been messed with before I had it and it was done poorly obviously. So initially the bike would crank and crank maybe 10 times with out firing and the battery would die, then I'd jump it off my car and it would fire up on the first crank. Figured it was the coils so I swapped them out after it had sat for a couple weeks. Now my multimeter will read 12v on the battery but it won't crank just have a faint solenoid click. After I press the start button the check engine light comes on briefly as well. Yet again once the voltage goes above 12 when jumped off my car it fires right up. The battery is new btw. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Don't know what the carby ducs are like but 12v on either the S4 or the SS 750ie will only trigger the solenoid but not the starter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On my Triumph, there is both a starter relay, and a starter solenoid.
The starter RELAY closes when a small current that is switched through the ignition key and the starter button activates it,
This then goes and activates the starter SOLENOID which delivers full current from the battery through the 8-gauge cables (fat ones) to the starter motor.
It sounds like your relay is activating but not the solenoid.
Check your relay/solenoid connections to ensure they are connected, clean and conducting the required current to operate the solenoid.

cheers, Keef,.

·
Registered
460 Posts
New battery is defective?

I got one a few months ago for a generator, and it was 11 volts out of the box, and never did start the thing, despite me charging it. Was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It does sound like a bad battery, but checking the circuit like kforkeef suggests is a good idea too. Just to make sure your connections are all good. I had an issue with my m750 where the post on the starter (where the cable hooks up) had somehow gotten loose on the inside. Check for any kind of loose connections, the follow the voltage and make sure it is getting where it needs to go.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Did I read here or on my car forum?
Someone got a new battery and the post was a little smaller, so they had a hard time attaching the cable tightly.
Another semi random thought.

·
Registered
23 Posts
12.0 volts is not a fully charged battery. And voltage alone is not an indication of whether the battery is actually good or not. If you spent less than $50 on your new battery, I'd bet you a burger and a beer you have a junk battery out of the box. As someone who has worked professionally in the industry for many years, don't cheap out on your battery. It's a literal waste of money. The fact that your bike starts up no problem when jumped is a dead give away your bike's battery isn't up to the task. Just buy a Yuasa and be done with it. Though if your wiring is hacked up, definitely get that sorted too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts