Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my S2R 1000, my clutch does a loud metal scratching sound on idle. As soon as I press the clutch lever, the weird sound goes, if I let go the clutch lever it comes back.

My bike only has 8000 km.

Should I worry about this sound? or is this something I should expect.

I tried to search this forum for a similar problem but with no success. Sorry if this was arealdy asked.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hard to say without hearing it, but sounds normal to me. I get the rattle-rattle sound in neutral with clutch engaged (lever out) and a kind of scraping noise with clutch disengaged (lever pulled in). Did you recently change clutch covers or remove yours? They will make more noise as they get older, too.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it is though to diagnose without hearing the sound but it is already good to know that it is normal for the clutch to make a different sound on idle with the clutch lever on or off. My friend has a monster 750 99, and there is no difference wathever the clutch position is on or off. That got me worried.

I bought my Duc new this summer and I didn't change anything so far on it.

thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
S4R4FUN said:
Dry clutch, silly. You paid alot for that sound!!! ;)
stop at stop light

dude in truck pulls up on your right

looks at you, rolls down window

"your bike is broken!"

moment of panic

"where?"

"sounds like it's going to fall apart"

panic goes away

mental note:

dry clutch says,

"klackity-klackity-klackity-klackity-klackity"

relax

it is all good

repeat 3x

very few people

know dry clutches even exist

That is a ducati noise you should be proud of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok, thanks for the info,

Ducati is definitly not on idle... there's loads of differences between my 99 and the 06 ones... so here's an other item that clearly classify my Mostro as an older generation one. Don't take me wrong, I'm proud to have an old generation Mostro. :)

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
bolducati said:
ok, thanks for the info,

Ducati is definitly not on idle... there's loads of differences between my 99 and the 06 ones... so here's an other item that clearly classify my Mostro as an older generation one. Don't take me wrong, I'm proud to have an old generation Mostro. :)
no big deal, but it doesn't have anything to do with the age of the bike, the bigger engines got the dry clutch and the smaller engines got wet (with all the sbks getting dry), with a few exceptions

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I hear they're dropping the dry clutch as a stock item in the near future. Am I being lied to? :eek:

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
erkishhorde said:
I hear they're dropping the dry clutch as a stock item in the near future. Am I being lied to? :eek:
on a couple of models that's happening, as a brand-wide change it's just unsubstantiated rumor for now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts