Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm trying to do a weight comparison between BST carbon fiber wheels and the stock Monster 1200S aluminium 3-spoke wheels (front and rear). I've tried looking online but I haven't managed to find the weight of the stock wheels - would anyone have any idea?

Ian

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi there,

I'm trying to do a weight comparison between BST carbon fiber wheels and the stock Monster 1200S aluminium 3-spoke wheels (front and rear). I've tried looking online but I haven't managed to find the weight of the stock wheels - would anyone have any idea?

Ian
Check out the "other" forum Shift Tech installed them and gave the weight differences between stock and BST. There are also some issues with mounting the rotors I believe, its still doable as he has them on his bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out the "other" forum Shift Tech installed them and gave the weight differences between stock and BST. There are also some issues with mounting the rotors I believe, its still doable as he has them on his bike.
Thanks EEEliminator! I had read the thread earlier but missed his one line on the 10-pound total difference between BST and stock. He had some issues with third party rotors, but according to a PM conversation, the stock rotors have no issues.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks EEEliminator! I had read the thread earlier but missed his one line on the 10-pound total difference between BST and stock. He had some issues with third party rotors, but according to a PM conversation, the stock rotors have no issues.
Good luck and post back with results and pictures if you go through with it!

I'm considering the rear when its time for a new tire, this should have a noticeable difference in the way the bike accelerates and handles. I wish they had some different options for the rear aesthetically, but I think I can live with it :cool:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck and post back with results and pictures if you go through with it!
Yes, after several days of research, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a set of BST wheels - they should arrive after a month's time. Will carefully weigh both stock and BST wheels to share here, as well as post pix :)

I agree on the BST looks - it could be better. The stock wheel looks great (and the scalloped version is even nicer) but oh well.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've run Carrozzeria billet wheels on several of my Kawi race bikes. It's amazing the way a bike feels with less rotational mass. BST's are very nice, I hear Rotobox are even nicer. You are shedding crazy amounts of rotational mass with those. You will s**t your pants once you ride it!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've run Carrozzeria billet wheels on several of my Kawi race bikes. It's amazing the way a bike feels with less rotational mass. BST's are very nice, I hear Rotobox are even nicer. You are shedding crazy amounts of rotational mass with those. You will s**t your pants once you ride it!
Ok, gonna get some adult diapers once the wheels get installed...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think the look of the BSTs are a result of engineering to ensure they are strong enough to be used on the street without cracking or breaking. A better looking wheel might not be able to withstand the rigors or real road riding with potholes and and the like.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The "S" rear wheel is 11 pounds. Without rotors, beatings or tire. Just the rim itself.
That puts the front at 8 pounds if the pair are 19 or so.

Not sure what the non "S" wheels are.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts