Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so if we dont lean/hang off at middle speeds (say 10-30mph-- when the gyros arent pulling the bike to steer) and we lean/counter steer when the bike is traveling fast enough, in order to keep it planted... do we also slide to the outside of a turn at say 1mph?

this is something I was playing with today... I'm a total newb but it seemed to make steering more stable to hang off on the outside, to keep the bike up... or is this just an assbackwards way of steering when I could just not lean at all and get good response?

·
Registered
498 Posts
grnhorn said:
so if we don't lean/hang off at middle speeds (say 10-30mph-- when the gyros aren't pulling the bike to steer) and we lean/counter steer when the bike is traveling fast enough, in order to keep it planted... do we also slide to the outside of a turn at say 1mph?

this is something I was playing with today... I'm a total newb but it seemed to make steering more stable to hang off on the outside, to keep the bike up... or is this just an assbackwards way of steering when I could just not lean at all and get good response?
At low to moderate speeds it is a good thing. It will help save your ass on a sneaky decreasing radius corner at moderate speeds.

Just keep in mind that leaning and turning the bike under you at higher speeds gets the bike much closer to dragging hard parts and levering up the rear.

You should always lead the corner with your body first. If you are already approaching drag territory use slight positive/conventional steering input in conjunction with hanging off more to subtly tighten the line.

If you are just barely leaned over with lots of available angle yet traveling too slow to hang off, then place your weight to the high side to load the rear and allow the bike to lean over further beneath you as you have previously stated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the awesome response [thumbsup]

I just read more about this technique in a thread concering completing the DMV's circle of doom

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
If it's available where you live consider taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider Course. They cover a lot of what you ask and you get ride time in front of instructors who can critique your technique.

David B.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OT said:
And pick up a copy of each of David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" books.
Already did [thumbsup]

davidbeinct said:
If it's available where you live consider taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider Course. They cover a lot of what you ask and you get ride time in front of instructors who can critique your technique.

David B.
Where I live (california), its required for an M1 ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are correct in saying that the bike handles different at slow speeds than high speeds. I would highly recommend that you attend an MSF course. They cover this exact thing and a bunch of other cool things that just might save your bacon on the street.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts