Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to find out what my 02 S4 actually weighed, so today I weighed first the front wheel and then the rear wheel, and adjusted for amount of gasoline on board. (The S4 gas tank was NOT full when I weighed it, but I then went to the gas station 1/4 mile away and filled it).

I used a Tanita scale that is supposedly very accurate> It is used for weight and fat percentage measurements of people, and supposedly accurate to fraction of a pound, but when you are trying to hold a bike steadily vertical, it is HARD, and I'm sure there was plenty of minor error in my measurement!

Anyway, for what it's worth, here are the numbers:

Date: 2-08-04, temperature = 50 degrees.
Assume weight of gas at 50 degrees about 6.1 lb / gal
Weight of S4 = 206 lb Front + 229 lb Rear + 1.5 gal gas added right after to FILL tank completely = weight with full tank
= 206 + 229 + 1.5gal to fill it x 6.1 lb/gal
= 444 lb with full tank

Ducati claims 423 lb + fuel = 423 = 3.96 gal x 6.1 lb/gal
= 447 lb.

However, my S4 has the following modifications that affect weight:

All "plastic" except fairing, cowl, and UPPER fender / light / license holder, is carbon fiber.

Termignoni high mount oval exhausts

Ducati Billet mirrors

Ducati Billet signals

So, since my modded S4 is only 3 lb under the weight claimed by Ducati, I think maybe they fudged their weight a bit lower than it really is, as most manufacturers seem to do.

Anyway, for those "inquiring minds", that's the scoop . . .

Jim G

S

·
0 Posts
back when i had some free time on my hands, (read: before becoming a dad), i weighed a bunch of stock parts and their aftermarket counterparts upon installation for comparison purposes. here's a table you may find interesting:

www.ducatipipemod.com/s4/weight.html

H

·
0 Posts
That's a lot of weight savings, strati! 20 lbs. I bet you can feel the difference, big time!

S

·
0 Posts
I think this is the number one reason why I miss my 2003 R6. Hate to say it, but in the twisties, its definately more responsive and flickable. Before I get flamed from other people, please go out and own and ride both a Monster and a "jap" sport bike . Don;t get me wrong, I love my S4, but now miss my R6. :(

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Strati! That table is very interesting!!

Jim G

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Thanks Jim, I had been meaning to weigh my S4.

Compared to an R6, I'll gladly deal with the extra 30 pounds of my S4, primarily by using the 50% greater torque it has....

S

·
0 Posts
yeah, but now compare that to a 2004 R1. 1 liter bikes vs 1 liter bikes.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Truthfully, I have no interest in any 4 cylinder sportbike from Japan. My refrigerator has more character....

But enough of hijacking Jim's thread.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Newbie - I've been arguing that point with people on this board for years. I LOVE monsters, I own 2 of then, but..........it's not a sport bike & it will be left for dead by a real sportbike in the twisties. Any modern 600 is state of the art technology in motorcycles & riding one reminds you how slow your monster really is.

R

·
0 Posts
I am on the fence. I loved both my R1's. I found the bikes to have great character. But a race bike is a race bike. And a Monster is a Monster. You cannot compare apples and oranges. If I was going to get a sport bike, I would buy another R1 or R6 way before I would buy a Ducati. I will take the speed and handling over dealing with Duc issues anytime. Track time costs too much to be wasting it trying to get your bike running.
But for an all around rider, the Monster is my first choice now.

A

·
0 Posts
Monsters are not designed as "true" sport bikes. If a guy wants that class of motorcycle, there are lots of better choices - European and Japanese, v-twins and inline fours.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Back to the subject of weight. ::)

About a year ago, out of curiosity, I weight my 1997 M900 with half a tank of gas and it was 430 pounds (also on a Tanita scale). When I mentioned that on the e-mail list, I got quite a few responses from people claiming their bikes were in the 380 range, or even less.

If any of those people had lived in the Bay Area, I would have challenged them to prove it. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Back to the subject of weight. ::)

About a year ago, out of curiosity, I weight my 1997 M900 with half a tank of gas and it was 430 pounds (also on a Tanita scale). When I mentioned that on the e-mail list, I got quite a few responses from people claiming their bikes were in the 380 range, or even less.

If any of those people had lived in the Bay Area, I would have challenged them to prove it. ;)
My bike weighs 387lbs ;)

189 front, 198 rear

No gas; full of all other fluids...

I weighed one wheel at a time, with the unweighed wheel at the same height as the weighed one. I used a doctor's style beam scale that I zeroed and checked against a digital scale.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
If we take Tom's 387 no fuel, add 24 lbs. for 3.96 gallons, we get 411 lbs., wet.

Gotta throw my S4 on the scales. Stock weight except for no emissions canister, and my cans are lighter than stock as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts