Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm sorry to have to tell everyone that my wife and I both wrecked our bikes at our first trackday. :( We were both in the beginner group.

Here is an image of the track we were on so that you can follow along:

First session: about 10 minutes into the session we got a yellow flag and I came around the track to find that my wife had overshot turn 4 and dropped her new GSX-R600 in the dirt. It was a very low speed wreck and she was back on the track for the second session after the bike was re-teched. Minor damage included cracked right fairing, bent back brake lever and a very slightly bent clipon. :( I was proud of her for going back out in the second session though, although I ended it prematurely as you'll see below.

Second session: My wife was back on the track taking it extra slow to be more safe. I'm just starting to feel comfortable on the track an picking up the pace just a bit. I come out of take turn 10 extra slowly because of some of the on track instruction I had to help take T11 a bit faster. I come out of T11 and start accelerating toward the apex of T1, just as I'm near the apex of T1 another rider takes it on the inside. I attempt to adjust my line (which I shouldn't have done) and start to panic as I'm headed toward the outside. Then I target fixated on the dirt instead of looking through my turn and recovering and decided that I'd run off the track and just get back on. When I hit the dirt I stopped using the front brake and started using the rear brake hard. I was fishtailing around (not fun but I've done it plenty on dirt bikes) and realised that I wasn't stopping fast enough and was headed right for the hay bails. I managed to get the bike turned so that I almost missed the hay but I still caught the hay bail heading almost parrallel with it. It caught the left side of my once beatiful baby and I was immediately thrown from the bike. :( I did three full body flips landing on my head all three times and finally came to a stop in the dirt. As I was tumbling I opened my eyes (after closing them just after getting thrown) and my left arm was flopping around at angles that seemed completely unnatural. When I came to a stop there were officials on scene immediatly to see if I was alright. I told them I though I had broken my left arm and they told me to lay down on the ground and be still. I did and they started poking and prodding me to find out where I was hurt. I had a whole lot of pain in my back (like I got drop kicked by a WWE wrestler in the mid back). However, they asked me to move my fingers (in my left hand) and I had no problem doing it. Then they asked me to try to move my left arm and again I had no problem doing it. "I guess it isn't broken." I said. :lol: They asked me if I wanted them to call the ambulance and I said I thought I was alright but I did want them to just to be certain (and safe). So I spend the rest of the morning and early afternoon at the hospital getting checked out. I'm fine, thanks in large part to my brand new Fieldsheer Rufus 1-piece. I was incredibly surprised at how non-hurt I am considering the speed of the accident. According to reports my 675 cartwheeled when it hit the hay. It has quite a bit of damage but maybe not enough to be totaled. :x

So, I'm really disappointed with my first trackday although I plan to make up for it at my second trackday (hopefully sometime in the not too distant future). The guy who cut me off in the turn was ejected from the trackday because there is no passing in the turns in the beginner group and apparently I wasn't the only one he was doing it to. I hate hindsight because I know that if I wouldn't have target fixated on the dirt (or had I realized that I wouldn't be able to stop before the hay) I would have been just fine. I didn't look through the turn after moving off of my line and paid the price. I was nowhere near the edge of the 675's capabilities, just apparently closer to the edge of my own then I realized.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Dude,

Sorry to hear about the bad track day and messing up your bike. I hope you can get it fixed up and get back out there soon. It will take a bit to get your trust back but it will happen. I thought they would have told the guy the rules before he went out there. Seems he should be held more liable for what he caused JMO.

Hope to see you and your gf at Ducati nights this week. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'm glad both of you are OK and planning to continue with trackdays in the future. [thumbsup]

The west track at Firebird is my favorite, I have ridden it several times and T11 is still quite challenging for me.

I hope to see you out there sometime, though I won't do another trackday until probably March/April.

·
Registered
12 Posts
West is my favourite track too, even though I highsided coming out of turn 3. ::)

Get back out there and have fun. You might also want to try a trackday with Team AZ (www.aztracktime.com). Usually a lot fewer people in a session. If you don't like being passed in corners, you can wear a red vest that tells everybody to back the f*ck off you in turns.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Sorry to hear the track day didn't go so well, but I'm glad you guys are ok! I'd really like to hit some track days and get some schooling when I get back, so maybe I'll see you out there. Good luck with the repairs!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Haven't been on until today... sorry to hear about what happened... glad you guys are o.k.!!!!!! the machines can be reparied...

·
Registered
21 Posts
freakinhippie said:
Well, I'm sorry to have to tell everyone that my wife and I both wrecked our bikes at our first trackday. :( We were both in the beginner group.
So how are you two doing now? How's the bike? Have you guys been riding or are you planning on going riding on the first?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys and girls! I was out there that day and saw your crash as it happened as I was standing right there at the time. Glad you came out of it alright. I was wondering as you had got up and then laid back down again. Hopefully this won't discourage you from doing further trackdays. Are you getting the bike fixed or are they going to total it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts