Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was pulled over yesterday in Glendale for speeding, when tho cop stopped me he ask me to get of the bike and then frisk me. Is this normal procedure for people on motorcycles. I know this does not happen when I am in my car. The worst part of it was that he finally stopped me in my driveway and all my neighbors were looking at me like an F'n criminal. Has this happen to anyone else in LA?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He was not alone, his partner was way cooler then he was. He was even asking about the bike. I was driving somewhat aggressive, 50 in a 35, around 7:30 pm,but not trying to lose him. I was in jeans and a tight leather. I guess it was just more embarrassing then anything. I may be over reacting, but you would have thought I was Al-Qaeda or something. Jeese!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

Would you like to elaborate on this? Did you wink at the guy and ask him to please search you? Was this in W. Hollywood? What were you wearing? A Doo-Dah parade outfit? ;D
Seems like it was completely justified to me....he's such an obviously shady character. ;D

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
a long time ago by now, back in high school, my
bud was pulled over for seriously exceeding the speed
limit (in a car). the cop shouted from his car, "driver
exit the vehicle and assume the position". so my
friend gets out of the car, bends over and makes like
he's spreading his a$$ cheeks. nothing like a little
humor to lighten the situation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This has happened to me before on my bike. I thought the same think as you about them thinking i was a terrorist. At least they had a reason to pull you over, I just hopped on the bike to start it and they pulled up.

Some cops just think all people on bikes are bad, others actually ride bikes themselves.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i thought the fact that you were speeding is the reasonable suspicion needed for a stop n frisk. the cop had the right, for his own safety, to frisk you. like 108gnfytr explained, there are a lot of factors a cop has to take into account, and its better to be safe than sorry. but as a small disclaimer, my knowledge only comes from my criminal justice major classes, and not any actual experience.

so what was the question again? oh yea. yes it was necessary for the officer to ensure his own safety. but no it wasnt necessary for him to do it to a duc rider, as we all know we are perfect angels!

S

·
0 Posts
Not sure, but maybe they were looking for a guy on a motorcycle who might have committed a crime. Ya never know.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
This is addressed in Terry vs Ohio
Otherwise known as a "Terry" pat. The threshold to justify a "Terry" pat for weapons is very low. The interesting 4th Amd. issues come up when an officer is doing a "Terry" pat and ends up pulling a bag of weed out of a suspect's pocket. In order to get around the illegal search and seizure argument, the officer must articulate that based on his training and experience, while doing a search of the outer clothing for weapons, he felt what he knew to be narcotics inside the suspect's pocket. If the officer starts digging in pockets without reasonable suspicion, it would probably be considered an illegal search and the "fruit of the poisonous tree" doctrine would apply rendering the narcotics inadmissible. Does this sound right to you 108? I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

BTW, back several years ago when I was a reserve deputy, I did a vehicle stop on a car driving through a park after hours. I was talking to the driver and filling out an interview card when my buddy announced that he found rounds in the passenger's pocket. I then searched the driver and pulled a loaded gun out of his pocket. After that experience, I searched just about everyone I came into contact with.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
there you go mac, kevdusmc's story is a perfect example of why they did it. yea we just learned about "fruit from the poisonous tree" thing this week in CJ class. i know more about police ops than actual law, because i took all the cop classes first, but Terry v Ohio is the biggest court case regarding the 4th adm that I've learned about so far.

Isn't finding narcotics in a frisk only admissable if its in "plain feel.'' Or am i thinking of plain view in a house search... who knows. how do you prove you knew it was a bag of marijuana and not oregano?

R

·
0 Posts
I would be happy and honored to be patted down and become the neighborhood hooligan....;D
Hey maybe it was the SoCal T-shirt, did the cop see it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the imput guys, lesson learned: I'll keep my drugs and guns in my car! Oh yeah, and say "that tickles" when being frisk for no apparent reason...Maybe I should sell the Duc and get me a hog. I could grow a beard, slap my girl around, cut the sleeves off my Jean jacket.....Chaps...Got to get me some Chaps!!!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I would be happy and honored to be patted down and become the neighborhood hooligan....;D
Hey maybe it was the SoCal T-shirt, did the cop see it?
IIRC, you're already the Malibu Hooligan... ;D

Maybe it's really Ryan's fault. ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Well it wasn't in front of my neighbors and they didn't pat me down,
although I did come up as a possible former inmate, (since you had my license) ;D
I did better as a hooligan in MN.
But I have to say I had some great LEO experience's there also.
The best ever was when I had my 748, I came around a corner at about 130 on a state hwy and there was a trooper parked on the side of the road, all I could do was mutter sh*t and look, and when I did, he just tipped his hat... ;D
The other time is going down Lyndale a big 4 lane for us in town, I was going fifty, and noticed a white car pulled up next to me and then just stayed there at fifty with me, so I looked over it was a LEO and he gave me the thumbs up, apparently he liked the bike.
Then I got out of a ticket in Wisconsin once cuz the Sheriff all of 21, was totally enamored with the Duc, but was thinking of buying a Buell, so of course I had to let him ride the monster.... ;D
After that my luck just ran out with LEO's....almost.....I only got four tickets after being pulled over like 8 times....When they ask you how fast you were going, it seems they like an answer, rather then saying how fast do you think I was going....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts