Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been lurking around these forums for quite some time researching exhaust to put on my 695. I ended up purchasing a set of termi slip-ons about a month ago and they've been on the bike ever since. last week during biketober fest the bike would run realy hot, i know sitting in traffic doesn't help an air cooled motor and the oil temp reached a high of 300 degrees.

The bike, even with the stock pipes, would run anywhere from 240-280 degrees just riding around town, as did it with the termi's. I talked to a guy here at a new ducati dealership that just opened in town here and he said the bike should only run around the mid 200's. So I was told to bring it in under warranty, which I did. The service guy calls me up and tells me that the problem is the new exhaust, which is making it run leaner, and that there might be possible rear cyclinder damage because of this.

The best part is that he tells me that this is now not covered under the warranty. I was under the impression from what I've read that putting on aftermarket slip-ons shouldn't effect the bike that much. Is this dealer ship trying to just squeeze some money out of me or am I screwed? Also, can I put my stock exhaust back on it and bring it to the dealership I bought it from and not mention anything about what the other dealership said and have the bike fixed under warranty, or once again am I screwed? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Put your stock exhaust back on and see if it runs any cooler. If not then leave the stock exhaust on and take it in for the warranty work. There's no need to mention any exhaust change to them. The change to the new pipes shouldn't lean it out that much to cause that much extra heat. If it did it would also be running a bit crappy too. Did you open the airbox too? Another thought --- if you had gone to the dealer and bought DP (genuine Ducati) exhaust cans to put on the bike there is a very good chance they would have been Termis. So what's the diff?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Does the bike backfire a lot? The Termi's are a Ducati aftermarket item... Sure you could need to richen up the fuel map - not sure how much they can tweak the standard ECU. I have a hard time believing that you messed up the rear cylinder - without hearing excessive popping. 300F won't kill your motor but it is a bit high; I believe 330 is the worry point. I'd want my dealer to tune it to the mods I've made. What was the ambient temp when it went to 300F? Just from general feedback it seems that some 695's are running hot. Yes I'd want to make sure your fuel settings are 100% then I'd look into an oil cooler.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The 695 runs hotter than other Ducs. But, 300 degrees is not a killer and I can see how easily you can hit that sitting in the hot traffic at Biketoberfest. Mine hit 300 a few times sitting on the highway, but in general riding it stays right at 224-230.

I don't think hitting 300 degrees will damage a cylinder. It doesn't actually even officially run hot until 328 degrees, so you had quite a bit to go.

I don't think your bike is running hot, I think it's normal.

Like Moto said, if it's not backfiring than it's not running THAT lean.

The 695 runs a little hotter than the S2R's and sitting in traffic at Biketoberfest will easily bring you to 300 degrees. Been there, done that....and with many bikes. What, you think Harley's don't run hot when sitting in that traffic? Of course they do.

I wouldn't push the issue. Unless you're backfiring and surging, you're fine.

Tom

·
Registered
297 Posts
twisted695 said:
The service guy calls me up and tells me that the problem is the new exhaust, which is making it run leaner, and that there might be possible rear cyclinder damage because of this.
Did he offer any evidence of this cylinder damage?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike does backfire every once in a while, but only while downshifting. The temp. outside at the time when it 300 was around 80 degrees or so. the air box is stock as well as the ecu, just the slip ons are the only mods. I have read that this bike will run hotter, it's just the service guy was making it sound like I was going to fry my motor if I didn't ut the stock pipes back on. He also said he tuned the stock ecu as much as possible to richen it up.

He seemed helpful but at the same time it seemed like he just wanted to run the bill up, teelimg me I needed to put an oil cooler on and to buy the dp kit from them with the chip. All I wanted was just a throatier exhaust note. It's my first bike and I do want to do everything right, but it just seems weird that you just can't slap some slip-ons on it with these kinds of consequences.

I am going to put the stock exhaust back on and bring it to the place I actually bought the bike from and have them check it out without saying anything about having the slip-ons on and tell them the bike is running hot and see what they say. It was just more convenient going to the one here seeing as it is only like 15 minutes away as opposed the the place I bought it over an hour away. He didn't actually have any proof that their might be cylinder damage, but that he was concerned and wanted to check anyway.

Thanks for all the input, it is all greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Oh, just a note. When I bought my Duck, everyone there said that the only pipe I can buy that wont void the warranty was the Termis. They all said that the Termis wouldn't void it.

Sure, you should be able to pop on some slip ons and not have any problems. I've done it with at least 15 bikes.

It may make them slightly lean, but not enough to cause any problems.

As far as the slight downshift backfire? Although I don't get any, I've heard many people on this site say that they get them on occassion.

As far as the oil cooler, doesn't yours come stock with one?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, really...................I didn't know that. No wonder they run hotter.

hmmmm, my Buell didn't have an oil cooler. That thing used to overheat on a regular basis. I bought an aftermarket one and it helped a lot.

With that experience I had, I personally would buy one for the Duck. But that's just me. I remember my Buell smoking while sitting at stop lights on a hot summer day. No temp guage either. Some bad experiences there, but I certainly can't compare an old XL motor to a Ducati. If it were me, I would spend the money and get one.

Tom

·
Registered
705 Posts
There is an oil cooler for sale off a S2R in the classified section - I'd jump on it.

If it was my bike I'd opt for the programmable ECU or wait for a Power Commander for the 695. Besides the comment about the rear cyl it sounds like he gave you good advice. My .02 is that I do not believe that a slip on will change the fuel map requirements as it just one end. If you were to increase airflow / high flow air filter then yes you need to remap - but don't take my .02 as fact. I just never - ever had to do that and I've put tons AM pipes on almost every bike/sled/quad I've ever owned. FYI I also have a PC on my S2R just because I want to optimize the performance - and not burn up the engine :) jk...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, my father picked up the bike for me. They charged me for an hours worth of labor. He said if I ordered them from ducati performance then it wouldn't void the warranty. I ordered the pipes from spareshack in their dp performance section. As far as I understand those pipes were ordered from Dp by spareshack, so shouldn't that count?
he said I have to take it up with Ducati themselves and if they choose to they'll refund me the money I spent. This sounds like it might take a while. Unfortunately for me I don't have the money right now to get an oil cooler, I'm getting married Nov 12 and then takin goff to Costa Rica for the honeymoon, so the bike will have to wait. Thanks again for the tips.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
If you buy an oil cooler you are also going to need an upgraded horizontal cylinder intake valve cover, some mounts, the hoses & a special plate that fits up inside where the oil filter is. We did that conversion in my shop for Teddy037. It takes more than your average set of home tools to do. It helps but it's not a 40 degree drop either.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Twisted,

First, congratulations on the wedding.

Second, the battle between consumer and the demonic service departments will never ever end. It's true for bikes, cars and anything else that has a "so-called" warranty. They will say and do anything to keep from giving you something for free and try and talk you into all kinds of aftermarket purchases that aren't necessary.

I've belonged to the FordEnthusiast forum for many years and the problems with dealers and service departments is a never ending battle.

I even have a paint job that gets scratched when lightly touched by a cotton t-shirt. Something is wrong with the paint. But, they wont fix it. They'll buff it out, but that's it. I gave up easily.

Take the route you originally said. Put the stock pipes on and take it in. But what would you be taking it in for then? There's nothing wrong with your rear cylinder, not from heat anyway. The bike can take 300 degrees with no trouble.

The bike runs hot because it's not oil cooled. I'd just save a little here and there and put a cooler on it when you can. In the meantime, I'd keep the Termis on it. The tempurature you are running at is normal for your bike. It's not running hot at day to day tempuratures. I don't have one but I read people posting about it all the time. And my friend has one and it DOES run hotter than mine.

Don't sweat it man. You're fine. Have a good time at your wedding and feel free to give me your bike while you're on your honeymoon. I'll give it a really good test. I'm in Fort Lauderdale and would be glad to take it off your hands for a few weeks :)

Tom

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Jedi Knight said:
I might consider deleting this thread.

Dealer's do read this message board.
I would think that would be a good thing. Perhaps they would have some knowledge about how he should proceed, or if he needed to do anything at all.

Personally, I think his bike is perfect just the way it is and there is nothing a dealer can do to make his bike run cooler.

But, if he heard that through a dealer's post then I think that would be a good thing.

Besides, you're not a moderator. You're making senseless idle threats. If you're not interested in helping, then just delete it.

Tom

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Everyone has different opinions. That doesn't mean the advice is good, just one persons thoughts. Not everyone agrees. The job of the OP is to take all of these comments (either good or bad) and come to his own final conclusion.

My thought, as I said before, is that there is nothing wrong with his bike. It is natural for his bike to run at these temps. Sitting in Biketorfest traffic and hitting 300 is not abnormal. His bike runs hotter than mine, natural. I don't believe there to be anything wrong with his bike.

Now, whether some people agree or disagree, that's their prerogative. Everyone has different opinions and that one is mine.

I think he's smart enough to put everyones advice together and draw his own conclusion. Just because some people don't give the greatest advice is not nice to tell them you're going to take the thread away. Cause the only person that will hurt, is the original poster and he's a new guy with a legitimate question.

Besides, I'm hoping he will post a picture of his wife here [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] (just kidding of course)

Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate all the advice given by everyone today. I have great news too. After talking to the service tech and because the pipes were termi's they are granting all the work under warranty and reimbursing me the money I paid to have it checked out. He said he talked to his service manager about the pipes and he gave him the ok for it being under warranty still. Thank god. Now I'm going to bring the bike back in sometime this week and have him check the rear cyclinder anyway to make sure everything is ok, because him telling me that I might seize up got me worried. So since it's still under warranty I might as well bring it in and have her checked out.

And as for the future mrs. twisted, I got her a nice little ducati bikini and a few wicked weasel bathing suits, and I'm trying to get her to pose on the bike. Besides, I need to post picks of the bike anyway.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Ah, see Jedi? Mission accomplished. I agree with you as well about misleading dealers. How could they come to a logical analysis of your problem with hidden facts anyway. I think the subject can be argued several different ways. Since the problem got solved though, lets just let go.

Twisted,
I'm glad the problem got resolved and I look forward to many pictures of Mrs. Twisted [clap] It's always good news when a post ends on a positive note. Good luck with your wedding and have fun. I'm sorry, my throat is ichy.....*ahem, ahem pictures of fiance ahem*...sorry.

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts