Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who has rebuilt thier fuel pumps with the Winderosa kit from Manufacturer's Supply, please read this!
I've been working on a problem over the last couple of days that I thought was my carbs leaking into the vertiocal cylinder. Turns out, my rebuilt Fuel Pump was at fault.

What happened was that the membrane on vacuum side of the pump ripped. This allowed fuel to flow out of the pump, through the vacuum line and into the intake pipe of the vertical cylinder. This ended up filling up the cylinder, overflowing into the intake and exhaust.

You can see the ripped membrane Here

I spent a couple of days trying to figure out what was up with my carbs, not thinking that my (pretty) recently rebuilt fuel pump may have been the culprit.

Finally, after opening up the pump and realizing what was happening, I called my local Polaris snowmobile shop and picked up an official "Mikuni" rebuild kit. The quality of this kit far outshines the Winderosa, and for $16.99 (retail) it's still a small sum compared to a new pump.

I know a few of you are also seeing this problem starting to crop up. The easiest way to see if this is happening to your bike would probably be to just unplug the vacuum line leading into the Vertical cylinder intake pipe and see if fuel flow out.

I hope this helps some of you. I spent a LOT of time the last few nights pounding my head against the wall trying to figure this out (he!!, almost burned down the garage). Hopefully, I can help someone else from doing the same.

Thanks to Chris, Andy, James and everyone else who helped me out over the last couple of days!!!!

-dj

T

·
0 Posts
DJ. Thanks for that post! Sorry you had to go through all that. I was thinking of using that kit.

Tom

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been looking around on the net trying to find a distributor for the Mikuni kits, but haven't found anything reliable yet. I'll update if I find anything.

T

·
0 Posts
yikes i just bought the winderosa fuel pump kit but luckily i haven't installed it yet (i won't now). Please let us know if you find a good online site that is selling the mikuni rebuild kit.

R

·
0 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the Mikuni key come with instructions? If so, how detailed are they--do they have pictures??

Thanks A Bunch

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I've had the Winderosa kit in since last March with no problems.

Supposedly they are a fairly good aftermarket supplier to snowmobiles and dirt bikes.

Likewise I couldn't find any Mikuni kit, or any other brand but Winderosa.

Q

·
0 Posts
Thank you very much for the info about the vaccum fuel pump. I'll surely check mine on my 1995 monster. And just a little question: How long does a fuel pump like that is supposed to last? 30000 km, maybe 50000 or maybe it depends....
Thank you. :)

S

·
0 Posts
I've got a M900 '95 - I've just overhauled my pump with this kit (without problems so far) about 3000 kms ago. (37000 kms on the bike). I recall reading somewhere that 5 years was a good time to overhaul the pump.
However, my old pump was still working OK, other than the bike running a little roughly on idle (it's smoother now).
...Simon

...Some would say, if it's OK, don't mess !

S

·
0 Posts
I haven't had cause to tear apart one off a Monster, but from the outside it looks almost identical to the one on my Polaris sled.

I've overhauled a couple of those in the past and you have to take great care when assembling. The membranes are very easy to tear or can get folded or creased when putting everything back together.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Yep, same basic pump as Polaris and Arctic Cat sleds. It just has different inlet/outlet castings.

That's the market (sleds) that the Winderosa kit is aimed at.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts