Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed the tail chop this weekend (it turned out fine) BUT, the instructions tell you to lop 6.5 inches off the tail. DO NOT USE THIS MEASUREMENT! The weld for the seat lock bleeds into that 6.5 inches, make sure to measure for yourself, I got SCARY close to the lock, cutting into the weld just a bit. Got lucky though, you can barely tell....just be careful out there!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Just did mine as well this weekend, and same goes for the 695. Just a wee bit too far outside comfort land for me. The turn signals also seem to be a bit off center, as one side requires using the outer mount and the other requires the inner. Anyone else notice this?

Still looks bada$$ though!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Yeah, I'll get out and take some new pics hopefully tomorrow. The kit really does look friggin great! So much more clean without the beer tray back there. Can't wait to get the new under bike exhaust from Motowheels! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Yea, I did mine last year, it just barely nicked the weld. Had I realized it I probably would have backed off about 1/8-1/4". No big deal though a little touch up pain along with frame plugs and you never even know it!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Chchadder said:
The turn signals also seem to be a bit off center, as one side requires using the outer mount and the other requires the inner. Anyone else notice this?

Still looks bada$$ though!

Mine is like this.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I am getting that exhaust too for my s4rs. The tail chop is a huge improvement, add that exhaust and new mirrors, viola, the PERFECT super naked bike!

The s4rs has alot of plumbing to deal with, I may look into an oil-cooler move too some day. Unfortunately in California, we don't have winters to get all this work done and then there is the thinking, should I drag out the projects so I can enjoy them more?... OR do them all at once while I am motivated...hmmmm. Being "grown-up" is expensive.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure Lou, I am glad it helped someone...my heart stopped when I first noticed I was cutting through that weld...a little touch-up paint later and you can barely tell...I got lucky.

It's a good kit huh? Well, as long as you don't follow the directions exactly.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
funny, last week i was explaining to someone why i have a couple little nicks in my frame just behind where it was actually cut...

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
So, we have all provided postive criticism to the vendor before this thread? And waited for a reply & at least an "oh, man, we did the template on the pre ST framed bikes - thanks we'll reprint the instructions" so that they're not just thrown under the bus like normally happens on the DML?

·
Registered
505 Posts
chris said:
So, we have all provided postive criticism to the vendor before this thread? And waited for a reply & at least an "oh, man, we did the template on the pre ST framed bikes - thanks we'll reprint the instructions" so that they're not just thrown under the bus like normally happens on the DML?

I highly doubt that, this is the DML you know.

I'd of thought that most people would take the measurements given to them, then actually measure and look at the bike before cutting? But that's just what I thought people did...... Measure twice, cut once?

·
Banned
897 Posts
Seems to me that this thread was way more civil than the usual flaming bashfest that goes on when something isn't perfect out of the box. Certainly a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, no flames please, its completely unnecessary.

"I'd of thought that most people would take the measurements given to them, then actually measure and look at the bike before cutting? But that's just what I thought people did...... Measure twice, cut once?"

I did measure many times, but to see the weld you would need to get under the frame to see it, I made the mistake of measuring from bird's-eye view, I should have looked at the measurement at every angle, but...well, you know the rest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts