Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few days ago my bike started dying on me when I would roll on the throttle. I would start it for the first time in the morning and have the warm up lever on left side open enough so that it would idle at 2k. After 1 or 2 min I would pull the lever off then let the bike idle on its own at 1k for about another 5 min. When I would take off and roll on the throttle the bike would die. It would also do this after work when I turned it on to get reday to go home. I called the ducati shop and they said that I need to get it to 180F before I take off and that thats normal operatind temperature. He also said that I can leave the lever on idleing at 2k for longer but not that long to help it warm up. Is this true?? I have an 06 S2R800.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I have the same bike (05).

I start the bike...get my crap on and take off. Idle time...maybe 4/5 minutes max. I ride while the engine is still cold and I get no problems that you describe. I'd say bring it back to the dealer and demand that they look at it.

C

did your bike do this from day one or did it just start doing it?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hemex,

I have the same bike(year,model).I have had mine die when i put it in gear(yes the side stand is up everyone) if it's not warm enough.Once it died when down shifting and coming to a stop,only once.The problems you are having sound similar but a little worse.

As for warm up time.I do the same as you,2k for few mins then a little above nomal then reg idle.In all about a 8 to 10 min process.It hardly ever reads 120`F when i take off.I dont know about letting it get to 180`f.You'd be there for ever.

Q: How many miles on yours

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I agree with you guys. I tried seeing how long it would take my bike to get to 180 and it took about 20-25 min which is way too long in my opinion. When I bought the bike it had this problem. Then during he first service they fixed it and told me it was idling low. Now that I call them again and tell them its doing it again they say that im not warming it up enough ??? The bike now has 3200 miles. I guess I will just have to bug them until they fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
its still covered under warranty.....they should do the right thing

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
HEMEX said:
Yeah, I agree with you guys. I tried seeing how long it would take my bike to get to 180 and it took about 20-25 min which is way too long in my opinion. When I bought the bike it had this problem. Then during he first service they fixed it and told me it was idling low. Now that I call them again and tell them its doing it again they say that im not warming it up enough ??? The bike now has 3200 miles. I guess I will just have to bug them until they fix it.
Bring in the owners manual when you take the bike back. If they tell you you're not warming it up enough, tell them to point that part out in the owners manual...

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
HEMEX said:
So a few days ago my bike started dying on me when I would roll on the throttle. I would start it for the first time in the morning and have the warm up lever on left side open enough so that it would idle at 2k. After 1 or 2 min I would pull the lever off then let the bike idle on its own at 1k for about another 5 min. When I would take off and roll on the throttle the bike would die. It would also do this after work when I turned it on to get reday to go home. I called the ducati shop and they said that I need to get it to 180F before I take off and that thats normal operatind temperature. He also said that I can leave the lever on idleing at 2k for longer but not that long to help it warm up. Is this true?? I have an 06 S2R800.
Mine did that, too. I brought it back and they said it was idling too low. It was right around 1000 rpm at idle. Bumped it up to about 1150-1200 and have had no more problems at all.

You DO NOT have to wait until it reaches 180 degrees. That's ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
My owner's manual (M1000) indicates for startups below 10C/50F, give the engine 5-mins to warm up. Startup as follows: keep idle around 1400-1500 with the fast-idle lever until bike holds idle on its own (1200 set by Duc mechanic).

I don't just 'cut it' after 1-2 mins (not good for engine).

Above 50F, I often start the ride like this and drop the idle RPM at traffic stops until it holds by itself (or when I get a numerical temperature displayed on the instruments.

Never stalls in any weather.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
OT said:
My owner's manual (M1000) indicates for startups below 10C/50F, give the engine 5-mins to warm up. Startup as follows: keep idle around 1400-1500 with the fast-idle lever until bike holds idle on its own (1200 set by Duc mechanic).

I don't just 'cut it' after 1-2 mins (not good for engine).

Above 50F, I often start the ride like this and drop the idle RPM at traffic stops until it holds by itself (or when I get a numerical temperature displayed on the instruments.

Never stalls in any weather.
Last winter I rode in about 40 degree weather on the way to work. I would high idle to about 1800 for a couple mins, slower lower idle til it held 1100, then took it easy til I got a temp reading. Never had any issues...

·
Registered
304 Posts
johnstl said:
Mine did that, too. I brought it back and they said it was idling too low. It was right around 1000 rpm at idle. Bumped it up to about 1150-1200 and have had no more problems at all.

You DO NOT have to wait until it reaches 180 degrees. That's ridiculous.

+1. Waiting THAT long is ridiculous. And Harmful.

I wait a minute, maximum, then take off. Bike's hardly heat up just standing there at idle. They warm up UNDER LOAD.

LJB 8)

·
Registered
130 Posts
M3-SRT8 said:
+1. Waiting THAT long is ridiculous. And Harmful.

I wait a minute, maximum, then take off. Bike's hardly heat up just standing there at idle. They warm up UNDER LOAD.

LJB 8)
+1. I totally agree. It's harmful to cold idle that long.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have started the bike in the cold and waited less than a min (bike doesnt like that) I have waited till full op temp and bike seems to like that well enough, my usual is waiting till the temp says 120F and we are good to go.

I drive (or drove) a Suzuki TL1000R

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
i have no problem at all, i start it up put on my gear and ride it quietly until up to temp this can take 5 to 10 minutes depending on air temp its not good to run any engine for a long period of time without it loaded in fact better to ride it as soon as you can after start up i ride all year round in the south island of new zealand and have never had stalling problems with my s2r

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
bedding in the rings on a new bike is the most important part of the running in period for any engine. when the engine is under load(being ridden) the rings load up on inside of the combustion chamber and form a seal to minimise gas escaping thus causing loss of power or oil to leak into combustion chamber if you let a bike motor to just idle until it reaches its opperating temp you will cause the cylinder to form a glaze which will make it harder for the rings to form a good seal you should also avoid riding the bike hard until the oil is well heated once i get my bike up to temp then i give it the message i mean its made to ride with passion and the rings will only last or perform at their optimum for so long that will depend on the rider and its maintenance i also don`t use fully synthetic oil as i believe it is to good and inhibits proper bedding in of the rings

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.