Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 620ie starts cold without throttle input, but when it has been running for awhile I need to give it gas after shutting it off for a few minutes. Is this normal?

·
Registered
195 Posts
My 2002 620ie starts cold without throttle input, but when it has been running for awhile I need to give it gas after shutting it off for a few minutes. Is this normal?
My 2002 750ie does the exact same thing, assuming that by "cold without throttle input" you do mean with the fast-idle lever on.

My other bike is carbureted, and it always needs a squirt of throttle to start, so I really don't even think about it. On the ie, it's prolly vapor lock, or some infelicity of the temperature-sensing mechanism in the FI system. For a long time in the '70s and early '80s, auto manufacturers had a hell of a time getting fuel-injected cars to warm-start successfully, and it's probably harder with an air-cooled engine where things cool off more quickly and at widely varied rates. In any case, I don't worry about it...

M.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, then you're doing better than I, because I need the fast-idle lever for both. Sure, at operating temperature I need to just crack the lever a bit, but it's something.

According to my logs, I've needed lever at 190+ and 279-degree (!) oil temps.

The British magazine Bike reported this while testing the M1000, so apparently we're not the only ones.
Rene Carlos

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I haven't used the fast idle lever yet. I bought it during the summer, so I didn't think I'd need to use it yet. I can get it going again with a large twist, but it was kind of embarrassing the first time it happened at a gas station trying to get it started with everyone looking at the Duck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
ya i have the same problem on a 750, but the dealer told me to never use the throttle when starting the bike. i didnt ask why cuz i was still stupified i was getting my first ducati. he told me to always use the fast idle lever. has anyone else heard this before?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I read that in the book too, however using the throttle was the only way I could re-start it. It may also have to do with my idle. Its been anywhere between 600-1000 rpm. I read it needs to be around 1200+-100. Remember, its not cool sitting on your Duck at a gas station trying to start the sucker! I will try the fast idle lever the next time.

N

·
0 Posts
I haven't done the first service yet, but even after a good ride, need to use the lever a bit, or just give it some gas.
My 620 does idle pretty low, was informed by a fellow Ducati friend that after the service, it will be just fine.

R

·
0 Posts
The dealer's suggestion of not using the throttle when starting the bike is the same suggestion for any fuel-injected vehicle. Unlike the old carb days (as in our '66 Mustang and in my other non-FI bikes) where you give it a bit of gas to get it started, FI vehicles don't need this extra step, and doing so too abruptly or with too large a throttle opening may even fool/confuse the ECU and lead to starting problems. Better to use the fast-idle lever for that bit of throttle-crack. I bought a fuel-injected bike thinking it will be easier to start, warm up, etc. Ha! Makes one appreciate carbs, vinyl records, tube amplifiers and other "analog" devices sometimes....

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 02 750 needs the lever to start initially, even when the temperature outside is 90 degrees. If I dont uss the lever it will catch and run for a few seconds...then die. So I need the lever but not for very long. Maybe 20 or 30 seconds.....then she'll warm up without help. But.....lets see what happens this Fall if she's this cold blooded in the summer months...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your help. I now use the fast idle lever every time and it works.

Z

·
0 Posts
Don't worry I need to use my lever each time...either if she is cold or warm...

But by the way, what must be the idle speed !?!?!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts