Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, thanks to all you horrible people i hate winter now more than ever. This is my third summer riding and I don't think i can make it through another winter just watching GP races all season.

we've been talking about other cities... california is out. atlanta is out (deal's gap or not). i was thinking austin, but Mr. says naw.

We want warm, cheapish, and twisty--a place where an import mechanic and a writer can work. a place with bookstores and coffee. a place where we can get a hunk of land like we have now so we can perform our satanic rituals in peace. is that asking too much? we've checked oregon, haven't found anything too exciting, but someone recently suggested Salt Lake City.

which sounds like hell to me, but he said the riding is awesome, there a long stretches of cop-less desert roads, there's the new Miller Motorsports track (and i hear they're building condos right on the track!) and i guess the national parks make all the boring stuff worthwhile. I did a search and found a handful of jewish people, so i'll have some place to go if i have an LDS meltdown (i had a meltdown like that in high school, but i think the letters were in a different order.)

i did some googling and there's a sportbike dealership, but it was mostly all terrain vehicles and only yamahas! my friend said there are plenty of italian bikes, but i can't find them on the web.

i'm going to post on the national board. i've heard people say North Carolina is okay, but it seems like a long ways from my family in CA.

is pluto officially closed?

and, maybe this should be another thread, but i have to say THANKS to sportbikes who support each other on the roads. i was heading back to WI this afternoon and had some extra time to carve some twisties until a huge traffic jam stopped everything for miles. i think there was a tanker spill or something (?) at the River Falls exit. Just as the traffic started to slow, a guy heading west signaled me and he was either saying, cops up ahead or get off soon.... i figured it out when i came around the next bend and saw the horror stretching out ahead of me. so i got off. i love that camaraderie. everyone i've met here seems to be the same way, so thank you all.

just my happy thought for the year.

sari

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I lived in Florence for a summer and loved it. It's a busy enough city that you could find work if you *REALLY* tried. It's extremely hard as an American to get a job in Italy. Their unemployment rates are already relatively high, and they tend to have a bias towards Italians anyways (who would've guessed....).

Only downside to Florence is it sits down in a bowl like valley, so during the summer time there is little breeze and it just bakes. The answer to that is a little town called Fiesole just outside of Florence up on one of the hills. I took a 15 minute bus to it every day during the really hot days, and it was perfect. Also, it overlooks Florence very well.

If I were to live anywhere in Italy it would either be 1) Fiesole, 2) Cinque Terre (any one of the 5 towns), 3) San Gimignano, 4) Siena, in that order of desirability. All of those places are easily Googe'able.

I don't think you could possibly ask for any better "average" roads to ride on than what are present in Italy :) You see lots of Monsters and BMW's there.

Don't get me talking too much about this topic, or you wont get me to shut up....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Italy.... I'm going to my happy place now.

Then you can go visit the Palace Borghese museum all the time - the most incredible mind-blowing museum for art and mythology lovers. I felt like I finally understood that fainting scene in "room with a view" when I went there.

I've heard Chapel Hill environs are great, and deeper (and cheaper) out. And you can find a number of progressive communities there. You're gonna need your air conditioners though...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the standard of living and average cost to live in those cities?

It's a million-to-one chance that my husband would relocate--he's a real local boy and he's never been out of the US. A trip to the Virgin Islands will be his introduction to the outside world, but I don't think that's what he needs to understand daily life in a foreign country. I honestly think he would love it. He already shops for food and cooks like a European. I think he's finally weaned off NASCAR and almost exclusively watching GP, superbike, and F1, but I don't know about the culture shift it would require.

We have a pretty ideal life right now for us, our four bikes, our three dogs and our very siesta-oriented work style. ;) Okay, that's MY style, but still... We have 20 acres of unfarmed land that was pretty cheap and the peace, privacy and quiet is worth the distance from all the good stuff, like community, culture and food.

If I thought I could cut our life out and paste it in Italy without too much difficulty, I'd push for it more.

Also, I have no interest in fashion or in looking fancy. I'm a pretty tomboyish American. I hate going to New York because the pressure to look stunning is too much for me. Italy has got to be the worst, no?

What kind of work were you doing there? What kind of life would an ex-pat have? And if this is all too off-topic, we can move this thread elsewhere.

And Nina, of course you'd think museums would be a reason to move. I'm the same way about museums as I am about universities and gays--I prefer cities with lots of each, but I don't really need to belong to any of them. ;)

Sari

P.S. If anyone wants to rent our house for a year, we could go on a sabbatical... ;D

·
Registered
96 Posts
SLO!!!!!!!!!! said:
What's the standard of living and average cost to live in those cities?

It's a million-to-one chance that my husband would relocate--he's a real local boy and he's never been out of the US. A trip to the Virgin Islands will be his introduction to the outside world, but I don't think that's what he needs to understand daily life in a foreign country. I honestly think he would love it. He already shops for food and cooks like a European. I think he's finally weaned off NASCAR and almost exclusively watching GP, superbike, and F1, but I don't know about the culture shift it would require.

I'm not going! It's an island you know how I feel about islands.

just kidding

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ok, so now that her hubby is now chiming into the conversation (last post before mine) then both can talk about hopes and dreams. My husband and I thought it would be a funny art project to play out an elaborate fake relationship via a blog - where the couple left increasingly cranky posts about "isn't it annoying when people use up all the milk" and "Why don't people ever bring thier cell phones with them" But the whole concept was way to much work for us, includng the marketing of our non-original conceptual art blog.

Ok, enough about me. Crash Hubby of Slooo, where do you want to move?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nina, I would love to vacation there, I just don't want to live on an island. Alaska is a lot like an island and after a while you get cranky. I will help keep your kid entertained on the plane ride though it's fun to goof with him.

bizychild, I grew up in MN, joined the Army was stationed in WA and AK, stayed in AK for a few years after I got out and have visited GA and HI (with the army) and my sweetie grew up in CA but has lived in MN and now WI for 25 years so no not the first winter.

I've been voting for Georgia or somewhere in that area because the cost of living is cheapish, the roads are good and we could get close to riding year round. I don't really care if it's a red state or a blue state aside from my observation that blue states seem to have better resturaunts and grocery stores. Californias out because housing is nuts and maybe they are a little too left of center for the
liberitarian in me. On the plus side we live in the 21st century so we can visit her family or mine from anywhere in the country within about 6 hours if we hop a plane.

As far as this other country thing, I'm perfectly willing to go visit several. Italy and Ireland for example would both be way cool, one for the food and history and the other because my ancestery is there. I'm not willing to move permanently though, I'm an American and this right here is my home.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I would definitley consider the Carolina's, Georgia, Tennesee, southern Missouri, parts of Kentucky. All great places to ride and have nearly year round riding.

I have been to Salt Lake City numerous times. There are some nice areas for riding, but you can also run into the "island" effect there as well. Long distances between civilizations. Also, the nice areas for riding get snow in the winter, so some of the riding could curtailed anyway.

Another good area thats warm would be Texas hill country. If you go between Austin and San Antonio and look west, you've got great riding. Nice hills, plenty of twisties. Northeast Texas also has some nice riding areas.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of our favorite hobbies is looking at real estate online. We spent 6 months combing the perimeter of the metro area for acreage near race tracks before picking ellsworth. strangely enough, racing took a back seat to riding and we just happen to live in one of the best areas for good riding around here. (My husband has another hobby, but I don't think there are many members of the 'let the recycling pile up until we live in one of those houses' club, so it doesn't qualify as a hobby in my book. I mean, I don't mind picking up after him--he's been a real saint since I broke my ankle--but how can you just not see a full bag of newspapers or root beers cans and simply take them out to the garage on when you head out for work? It's not like I'm asking him to stop at the recycling center on the way to work--about a half block out of the way--but I guess that's just how some people like to live. Maybe it's a MN thing. Or maybe a lousy far right kook thing.

I sure don't get the island problem--what's the difference between hopping on a boat for half an hour and flying to the coast to visit relatives? I'm not so sure I could run off and live in Morocco that easily, either (though I'd love to.) The novelty might wear off quickly and then I'd get homesick and they probably don't have my favorite anti-anxiety drugs in the small mountain village where I live by a waterfall, so that fantasy loses its luster for me, too.

Seriously, everyone's suggestions here and on the national board thread are incredibly helpful. We are seriously looking at places in the Asheville area. The enthusiasm for the place and the reputation is pretty attractive. I've been to Asheville before and it was beautiful. I've been to Raleigh and Winston-Salem and the land and the greenery were gorgeous. We've hooked up with a real estate agent who sounds really great, too.

I think SLC is out. I have my issues with religion and right now I want to build a 800 mile fence between me and our born-again neighbors, so I don't know how far my tolerance would stretch in Mormon town. Especially after reading Jon Krakauer's book. And even moreso since I don't want to live right in the heart of the city.

Austin is still my #2 choice, but the heat sounds scary and the surrounding masses of people who voted for Bush as governor is even scarier. I bet I'd really love it there, though. The ocean is closer to NC, too.

So does anyone want to rent a 100-year-old farmhouse an hour out of the city? Just for a year, while we test the waters in another place?

Sari

·
Registered
222 Posts
nina said:
My husband and I thought it would be a funny art project to play out an elaborate fake relationship via a blog - where the couple left increasingly cranky posts about "isn't it annoying when people use up all the milk" and "Why don't people ever bring thier cell phones with them" But the whole concept was way to much work for us, includng the marketing of our non-original conceptual art blog.

Slo, I'm assuming you're stealing my conceptual art project?
'course one of my favorite sayings is also "housecleaners are cheaper than therapists."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.