Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's got the best high performance warm clothing these days?

I'm getting more serious about Cycle Camping with my Monster. I was pretty lucky the first two times, it didn't get cold. This last time it got uncomfortable, and the only layer I had left to put on was my riding leather, and that's not really very comfortable to hang around the campsite in. I know that eventually I'm going to caught out by a real cold snap.

Looking for comfortable, warm and windproof jacket and pants that are also thin for easy packing. Waterproof and at least passably stylish would be bonuses. It doesn't need to fit under or over my riding gear, I've got that handled.

I've got limited carrying capacity (it's a Monster, after all) as the tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and camp chair consume about 2/3rds of my soft luggage. I've got a few more items to get to round out the camping gear, but more luggage is not on the list...

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Hey Nick,
I have a Marmot liner I picked up at REI for around $100. It is thin, light, and surprisingly warm. I wear it under my perfed jacket on colder days. REI has a good selection of cold weather gear for backpackers that packs easy. Glad to hear the machine is back together.

H

·
0 Posts
Try Cabela's. I've had very good luck with the hunting clothing that I've purchased there. They have some great hiking/camping gear, as well. From moderate to extreme temps, they have pretty much everything.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I swear by the Mountain Hardwear windbloc stuff. It is crazy expensive but if you're only going to have a couple of items it can't be beat. The bonus is you can wear the jacket and pants under leathers and stay really toasty.

REI has come out with a single jacket that's supposed to be all that plus waterproof, but I haven't tried it.

R

·
0 Posts
All good suggesstions...I really like Mountain Hardwear too....and Marmot.....there is an rei outlet store online...http://tinyurl.com/36m99

I also really really like Patagucci capaleine stuff for wearing underneath it all.....highly recommend it...
There is one other option that may work for you...I found Ducati Corse rain gear for a song on close out at BCM. I ended up with a one piece. But the two piece stuff is just like mountain gear jackets and pants......built really well..looks cool. I think they were going for $75.00, waterproof of course and I did check on other cycle rain gear and some of it like the Duc Corse gear compares to rei stuff, I think..function and build...I dunno.....and some of it was pretty cool looking. Packs light, and you can ride with it too....?
For rei stuff they always seem to have deals at the stores.....if you find anything Nick through rei I have a card that may get you some extra off, if you like....http://www.bcmducati.com/gallery.cfm?gid=15
pic is of course one piece, two piece very similiar...there is a hood in the collar...last years model so may still find at close out.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Patagonia and Marmot...excellent quality, you get what you pay for.

gnew

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
You know, Retro is on to something. I just got closeout Ducati 2-piece rainwear from BCM (they're running out). They're both rip-stop, very light and packagle. The top is an anorak. The pants zip all the way down the side. Paid $20 each!

This would be multifunctional; rain gear and a lightweight windbloc layer. You're still stuck needing warmth underneath. I'd go with poly-pro underwear (REI brand is good value and comes in two or three weights) and fleece. The underwear and fleece are really useful under leathers to adjust for different conditions.

I just got a new REI shell for Christmas (from my wife) that's extremely well constructed of waterproof breathable material with many technical features. But it won't pack quite as tight as my Ducati rain gear and I'd frankly hate to subject it to road grime and oil :'(

I also agree that Mt. Hardwear and Marmot kick ass but I can't afford the best of everything. Have to cut corners somewhere to have money left for Ducati accessories and track days ;D

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I also like the Mt. Hardwear stuff. I just bought a Backcountry Recon Parka and I love it. It is only a "shell", but it uses a heat reflective liner to keep you warm. I used to back country ski a lot, and this is the warmest jacket I've ever had, even without any real padded insulation. I wear the same layers underneath as I did on my old THICK Saloman "parka" that I bought for snow camping and I stay just as warm. Slightly pricey at $250, but great quality...

http://www.mthardwear.com/www/action/catalog/DisplayStyle?id=1037

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This board Rocks!

Thanks for all the feedback, it means a lot coming from those who have and use the products. Didn't want to get snowed by a salesperson pimping their high profit-margin stuff....

I'll check out what you've suggested. The Mountain Hardwear stuff looks really good, the price is a little steep, but good gear usually is. Marmot, Cabela's, Patagucci (;D), REI. Great info.

That Duc rainsuit from BCM looks like a good thing to have all by itself, my only rainsuit is pretty miserable. I've looked for 'em off and on over the years and it always seemed like the best ones were all black. Not exactly what I want to wear if I have to ride in the rain at night.....

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Marmot DriClime

I bought one of these to wear under my mesh jacket when it got cold, and still be able to stuff it in my barrel bag when it got hot. It works great for that, but now, I think it's my favorite all around, take anywhere jacket. I bought the maritime/nickel color, and it certainly looks "passably stylish". I wear it to the movies/casual dinners all the time. Not sure I'd want to rely on it, independantly, in a "real cold snap", but it does make a great shirt/layer/jacket depending on what you need at the time. I take it everywhere I go.

http://www.worldclassgear.com/marmot_driclime_windshirt.asp

http://www.rockcreek.com/products/listing/item239.asp

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have a cool snowboarding jacket, doesn't really get any warmer but it's BULKY when you try to stow it away. I have a cheap First Gear 2-piece rain suit that I bought for the motorcycle, but it works just as well off the bike - it breathes like sh!t so it'll keep you warm as well, just wiggle your toes and you'll break a sweat.

-R.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts