Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a Monster for my first bike, what should I pay for one that is well cared for and nice.

I should let you know that I have never ridden a bike before and I am next week going to a week long MC Class, to learn how to ride.

The reason I want a Monster is that it was the first bike that just really caught my eye as SWEET!!!

So what would you all recommend for a first Bike

620 ie Dark new ($5,400US)
or a used 750, 900, ???

Any help and advice you could give me would be great.

Also do you think buying new would be a stupid thing to do.

Thanks
Dragg

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you've never ridden or owned a bike before, and money is not the major issue, I think a new bike is a good idea- theoretically, fewer problems. If it's a Monster ye love (and don't we all) the 620 would be the place to start.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I'm going to find the links to the dozens of times we've answered this (one of these days). ;)

A Monster is a reasonable bike to start on as far as ease of control, weight, and ease of getting your feet on the ground. It has a good powerband for an inexperienced rider (good for experienced riders too). The large turning radius is a slight drawback. A used one is going to cost you less when you end up dropping it than a new one, since you might not feel the need to get it back to perfect condition.

Generally we suggest getting a cheap 500cc Suzuki or Kawasaki to ride for a few months, get the dropping part out of your system, then get the Ducati of your dreams, but if you insist on a new bike, a 620 is a good choice.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I agree, I own a 2001 M600, and it hasn't even been a year, and I want to upgrade... I wish I had just bought a cheapo used crotch rocket (600cc or less) to learn on, then I would have bought an S4R.
Don't get me wrong, the 600/620 is a great bike to learn on, it's very forgiving, and easy to control. Not much of a chance of an unwanted wheelie either. But in hindsight, I would have saved myself 6 G's and bought a junker, then the bike of my dreams.
Unless $$ is no option.. in which case, you can buy me an S4R, too. ;D

·
Registered
555 Posts
fyi
m600 (carburetted) is almost 10hp lower than a m620
that being said you could always buy the 600 learn how to ride and when you become power hungy swap engines.
hmmmmm....996 from a st4s
ds1000 ,900,800,750,620
st3
desmocedicci!!!! ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did you find a new 620ie Dark for $5400? Is this normal for this time of year? is it an '02 or '03 maybe? I found a new '02 Dark for $5700 out the door, should I go for it or are there advantages to a newer model?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the advice guys

Scott: I had to laugh at your reply "I'm going to find all the links, where we have anwsered this question before" As a member of other boards for a long time I to know that a newbie question can be repetitive, thanks for suggesting the search key.

Slick: Thanks, personally I hate japanese bikes, everyone has one and I really just don't like them. But finding a good used 600cc bike or less to learn on is something to think about.

raft: A dealer friend of mine out of state has one 04 for 5400 out the door, I guess the old saying is true its not what you know but who you know.

I guess I should be telling you all how I will be paying for my new bike, my boss and I have a bet going (which I will win, he worth millions and doesn't care where he spends his money, just as long as I work my ass off) But he told me that if I sold 500K in the next six months he will buy me a Ducati (under 8G's) so I figure 5400 for the 620 Dark and 2600 for carbon fiber parts.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks again

Dragg

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Nice boss, but see the carbon fiber taboo thread :) I think for 8g, buy a 620 or 800, no CF, but lots of other goodies and gear! I think $2600 would be a bit too much CF for a monster.

mitt

·
Registered
915 Posts
I wouldn't start lumping 600cc "crotch rockets" as starter bikes....there are some 600cc Japanese bikes that are definitely NOT starter bikes.

gnew

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I've been riding for about five years altogether and have gone down in CC's every bike. Started with a CB1100 Supersport, Sportster 883, 750 Paso, and now an 03' 620M. Horsepower is over rated IMHO. My 620M has very usable power for the street and through the canyons at it handles like a dream. Maybe it's just me but I bought the 620M with my big head instead of the little one this time and am more and more happy with every ride. Maybe when I'm dragging a knee at 120mph I'll feel like I need more HP. We'll see.

As far as the Japanese 600's being beginer bikes I disagree. The new ones all put in the range of 100HP which is nuts in a sub-400ld machine. Even the older inline 600's are not beginer bikes in the HP area. The 600, 620, and 750 Monsters are all good beginers and keepers as well. The SV650 is probably the best beginer bike, as a decent used one can be bought for around $3K and it won't cost that much to put back together "WHEN" not if, you drop it.

Good Luck and be safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts