Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Wanting clipons but what made you choose what you chose?

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  mr. monduc 
#1 ·
After all the said and done I need to try this mod. Ive been told that I should get the under triple mounted clipons with rise. While this makes sense why not get the no rise clipons that go above the triple? If I have the coffin resevoirs then I need a spacer apparently for below but not above. Do I need to get new grips? Should I get new levers and resevoirs at the same time?

I know theres a bajillion threads on this and I went through 4 pages before I got frustrated not finding the answers to these questions.

#2 ·
Hype -
The spacers for coffin style mc's, you'll need them regardless if you go above or below the triple. What they do is allow the "coffin" part of the reservoir to have enough room to clear the clip on (the part that the bar inserts into).

#3 ·
goldenchild said:
Hype -
The spacers for coffin style mc's, you'll need them regardless if you go above or below the triple. What they do is allow the "coffin" part of the reservoir to have enough room to clear the clip on (the part that the bar inserts into).
Ahh, unless I choose a different type of resevoir right? Did you have to change your grips?

#4 ·
Also, if you get the above the triple clip ons, you'll be able to adjust them to go only so low. If you get below the triple clip ons with some rise, you can adjust them however low you want (within reason), or as high as your top trile will allow.
No need to change your mc's unless you want to upgrade to the radial type. You can find radial mc's cheaper on ebay but most of them don't come with levers. Grips. No better time to swap them out than when your putting on new bars!

#6 ·
You can use your old grips if you want to.

You may or may not need the spacers if you have the coffin style masters. Depends on which brand clip-on you install and the rest of your set up.

You might or might not have to modify the throttle cables and brake/clutch lines depending on how things fit and how "clean" you want it to look. Same deal goes for changing masters.

"Ain't modifucations fun?"

#7 ·
goldenchild said:
No need to change your mc's unless you want to upgrade to the radial type. You can find radial mc's cheaper on ebay but most of them don't come with levers. Grips. No better time to swap them out than when your putting on new bars!
Considering I have mirrors that mount in the stock location (the coffin reservoirs) I cant change them so thats one less thing to worry about.

#8 ·
why not get the no rise clipons that go above the triple?
You have to lower the triples to fit them. OK for some, not for others.
Was OK w me but I have older frame. I have adjustable above triple and like it.

If I have the coffin resevoirs then I need a spacer apparently for below but not above. quote]

I did but it depends on clipons.

Do I need to get new grips?
No.

#9 ·
HyperM3 said:
Considering I have mirrors that mount in the stock location (the coffin reservoirs) I cant change them so thats one less thing to worry about.
You can change to remote reservoirs if you like and still keep the mirror mounts. But I don't recommend changing your master cylinders only because you're getting clip-ons, seems silly to me. If you're looking to upgrade your brakes that's a different story.

I have CC clip-ons, with a rise. I have mounted mine above, as well as below the triple. My front end is lowered, (my bike is lowered about 1 1/2") so I have enough room on top of the triple to mount them.

#10 ·
I just recently installed a set of Rizoma Clip-ons, I don't know how to link a topic, but it' on the second page titled "New Clipons Installation Completed (now with pics)"

It details some of the issues I had while installing them and then pictures of the final product. The coffin resevoirs are a PITA to get mounted but they eventually went on. Your stock mirrors will become useless, so you might want to start pricing some new ones now.

Here is the link for what they look like mounted.

http://surfs1st.lenzus.com/cgi/site?48744209+1

#11 ·
surfs1st said:
I just recently installed a set of Rizoma Clip-ons, I don't know how to link a topic, but it' on the second page titled "New Clipons Installation Completed (now with pics)"

It details some of the issues I had while installing them and then pictures of the final product. The coffin resevoirs are a PITA to get mounted but they eventually went on. Your stock mirrors will become useless, so you might want to start pricing some new ones now.

Here is the link for what they look like mounted.

http://surfs1st.lenzus.com/cgi/site?48744209+1
That looks very nice. Why will my stock mirrors become useless? Im using Rizoma Class mirrors that mount to the stock position. Im not buying new mirrors so what do I have to do to use them?

#12 ·
I don't know about the Rizoma Class Mirrors, they might have more adjustability than the stock Ducati Mirrors I had on. The stock mirrors were not designed to be set at that angle and had almost no visability.

#14 ·
I've got the Cycle Cat DBR-13 below the triple. They are awesome bits of work. Super adjustable. With the 2.5" riser and at the lowest setting they are about level with the top triple. I've got plenty of adjustment up as well. I love them, worth the extra $$, and I'm a uni student!

#15 ·
I've had three sets of clip-ons...

First, Redline above the tripple (now sold by MotoWheels) 'cause they were the cheapest ting I could find.

Second, used DP below tripple (bought on this board) because I wanted to raise the whole bike up for more ground clearance (I'm 6'1" so seat height is no prob) and I couldn't drop the forks with the above trip clamps on. Those pieces were beautiful but interfered with the fairing brackets on my old school fairing ('99).

Then I got some used CycleCats, below trip with risers so bars are just above the tripple. Position is very close to the old Redlines.

Design and workmanship of CycleCat and DP are both of the highest level and enhance the bike. Redlines.... well, they work but, if they don't detract from the bike, they don't add either.

That's my logic FWIW

#17 ·
I wish they made these in 53mm, I would love to use these for an sbk swap above the triples, they look awesome.
Actually, they make them in 53mm. I bought a set off ebay.co.uk few months ago and the guy still has few sets left. They came with 50mm clamps which were bored to 53mm though, I already had a 50mm set so I sent them back and got mine bored by 3mm. Before doing that I called Tommaselli Italy and confirmed that they produce 50, 53 and 54 mm clamps all from same clamp body so that I know I am safe regarding breaking risk. All in all you can either get a 50mm one and machine it down to 53mm or get an original 53mm one. PM me if you want to know the seller (he had original 53mm sets as well, unlike the one he sent me).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.