Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the six speed from a later model monster 620 will fit just fine into an older model monster 620 (I'm riding an '03 with a five speed) and would like to go ahead and do this swap while I have the engine out for some other fun (FBF big bore kit).

Before anyone says get a different bike, I'm doing this for the experience. I've rebuilt car engines in the past and this seems a good jumping off point to start doing some motorcycle engines.

So, anyone out there got or know someone who's got a six speed for my monster? Shoot me a pm with how much it's gonna run me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry, I found out it will not work with a wet clutch, have you considered making it a dry clutch as well?

I have a 6 speed gearset form a 1000DS engine, I will check and see if it will fit.

Frank
[email protected]

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't think its that big a deal, but it is a bit more expensive as you need a lot more parts.
However I do have a 97 900ss bottom end with 6 speed gearbox and dry clutch, it has a bent rod from a piston failure, everything you need to convert is there, I'll take 250.00 plus shipping for it.

Frank

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking through what all that's gonna take. The thought of going to a dry clutch is very tempting as it always screamed Ducati to me. I like the broken engine sound it makes ;D

·
Registered
84 Posts
More checking reveals that the only 6 speed that will work in the 620 is the kit that was made for it.

I do have another option though, I have a 2007 800ss complete engine with only 2400 miles, excellent condition, 1200.00 plus shipping.
It doesn't have a dry clutch but it is already 800cc, much bigger that you can make the 620 plus it has a 6 speed tranny.

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts