Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sam, our eleven year-old, is interested in learning how to ride. When we were at the motorcycle show last weekend, he was able to sit on several of the new trail bikes and found that the Honda CR100F, or a Yamaha TTR125 "fit" as far as seat height, etc.

Does anyone here have a lead on someone how might be selling a good, used, 4-stroke trail bike? $1,500 - 2,000 seems to be a reasonable going-rate for these bikes used, as far as we can tell so far, but we'd just as soon buy one from someone we know so...

Any leads or advice would be greatly appreciated [thumbsup]

Lisa

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Lisa,

How about one of those new Honda CRF150s, they come in small wheel and big wheel versions. I read a really good review in a bike mag recently. May be more bike and $$$ than you want to spend, but he could grow into it and the resale would hold decently. Although if I remember right it sells for more than I spent on my 250 Elsinore in the 70's when it was the hottest MXer on the planet...oops! there I go dating myself again!!!

Hope you find something for him, I don't have to preach the virtues, unbridled joy and freedom that motorcycling brings to you... more preaching to the choir. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
funny enough, my coworker just got a bike for his 10 yr old, it's actually pretty cool and we've already fixed it up pretty good (been playing around on the thing too >:D)

Look out for a Suzuki DS 80, it's a fairly large engine for a small bike (they make full sized bikes with that engine!), but man it's a lot of fun...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
N2F,

Check out the the classifieds on the following websites:

www.tccra.org/forums - Local board
www.thumpertalk.com/forum - National board
www.texasoffroad.net - Local board

I would recommend the Yamaha TTR 125 or one of the Honda CRF's (not the CRF 150R cause that is a full on race bike).

If you got one of the those bikes you could actually ride it around as well. There are several ladies that race the TTR's and CRF's and they get around pretty well.

Here is a bike for sale from a guy I actually know http://www.tccra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20273

Good luck and let me know when Sam gets a bike and I will take you guys out to Stone Creek Ranch where I ride. There are a bunch of open fields as well as a marked one directional track.

Swanny

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow - thanks for all the input (you just gotta love the DML!) I think we'll be buying something here in the next week or two. Will keep you posted...

Have a Happy Turkey Day [thumbsup]

Lisa

·
Registered
665 Posts
+1 for www.texasoffroad.net i bought and sold many bikes there even street bikes ;D

my sugestion is TTR125 cause it comes with Estart stay away from the CRF150R this is not a play bike but a amater 85cc weapon ::)

other options are DRZ125 and KLX125 same bike just different colors. Many people race those 125 in karting tracks and is so much fun with a set of sticky Avon tires.. ;D

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
N2F
Just saw this in the Neighbor section of the Morning News

2000 Honda XR100 Dirtbike
Good Condition
$550.00
940/380-0085 leave message

Good Luck!
Ducandcover
Rick

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a brief update; we snagged an '04 TTR125L with 30 hours on it for next to nothing today so we've got Sam's bike covered... Now the hard part will be finding one for Alan...

Thanks all for your input and advice - we really appreciate it [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
n2f said:
Just a brief update; we snagged an '04 TTR125L with 30 hours on it for next to nothing today so we've got Sam's bike covered... Now the hard part will be finding one for Alan...

Thanks all for your input and advice - we really appreciate it [thumbsup]
AWESOME!! You or Alan ought to bring Sam out to the last man standing this weekend. He could get to see a lot of awesome things with dirt bikes and it is all free.

I will be heading out there so you guys are welcome to hang out with me.

Swanny

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Swanny. We're gonna keep an eye on the weather for this weekend... Looks like winter is coming to town on Thursday :-\

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
n2f said:
Thanks Swanny. We're gonna keep an eye on the weather for this weekend... Looks like winter is coming to town on Thursday :-\
Nah. It will be in the mid 50's on Saturday.

Swanny

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Man, I wanna ride it NOW!"

That's what he said...

Saturday is coming soon, haha! >:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Re Sam's Bike!
Way too cute... I remember my son on his first XL 125!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! We're off to Cycle Gear tomorrow at 10am to get him properly outfitted, then hopefully by 1 or 2 in the afternoon, we'll hit the trail (well, not literally I hope!) I really hope he has a great First Day...

·
Registered
665 Posts
i m going to get my self a dirt bike too... something like KX250 or other 250 stroker i really miss the fun i had at munster with my dirtbikes ;D

·
Registered
665 Posts
fastwin said:
Lisa,

How about one of those new Honda CRF150s, they come in small wheel and big wheel versions. I read a really good review in a bike mag recently. May be more bike and $$$ than you want to spend, but he could grow into it and the resale would hold decently. Although if I remember right it sells for more than I spent on my 250 Elsinore in the 70's when it was the hottest MXer on the planet...oops! there I go dating myself again!!!

Hope you find something for him, I don't have to preach the virtues, unbridled joy and freedom that motorcycling brings to you... more preaching to the choir. Good luck.
Which ZRX you got? i had a 01 green 1200 and now i got a black 01 1200.. i just cant keep my self from those GPz looking beauties ;D

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
It's an '05 (the last year!) ZRX1200... green of course! Ohlins shocks, LOTS of ZRXOA member made goodies, Yosh carbon slip on, Galfer wave rotors, steel braided lines, etc. I've got an original '83 KZ1000R Lawson Replica in storage but it's like stone axe technology compared to the ZRX 1100/1200s. Neat bikes and great owners association. They are a crazy bunch... good crazy!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hey N2F and Alan, It was good seeing you guys today.

Tell Sam that he has one sweet ride and to keep up the good work on learning to ride the bike. [thumbsup]

Swanny

1 - 20 of 30 Posts