Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys,

I'm a 22 year old college student in North Carolina. I've been riding smaller displacement bikes for a while but never have had a bike of my own. Been wanting to get my first bike for the past few years, and I've finally started saving up to get myself one. I've been searching around the classifieds, craigslist, cycle trader, etc looking for a monster in good condition and within my (albeit low) price range. I'm interested in anything in the 2-4k price range. I'm an eager new rider and very excited to get myself on a bike and become part of this great community. Any offers/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Here's an option: http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...2002-monster-750-just-serviced-3-400-nyc.html

Where in NC are you located?

I know of an S2R that you might be able to score on the high end of your budget, Guy is asking stupid money, but it's been on the block for quite a while. He's moved to Colorado and it's sitting at his parents house on a trailer chained to a phone pole.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but your budget is pretty slim for Ducati ownership. You can get in for that, but repair and maint costs on a bike you can buy for that money can get overwhelming. If I were you, I'd gather another grand then buy the best bike you can find for $4K and have $1K if reserve to make sure it's right. That way you're not stuck with a broken bike you can't afford to fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's an option: http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...2002-monster-750-just-serviced-3-400-nyc.html

Where in NC are you located?

I know of an S2R that you might be able to score on the high end of your budget, Guy is asking stupid money, but it's been on the block for quite a while. He's moved to Colorado and it's sitting at his parents house on a trailer chained to a phone pole.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but your budget is pretty slim for Ducati ownership. You can get in for that, but repair and maint costs on a bike you can buy for that money can get overwhelming. If I were you, I'd gather another grand then buy the best bike you can find for $4K and have $1K if reserve to make sure it's right. That way you're not stuck with a broken bike you can't afford to fix.
Bshinn: I'm located in wilmington. And yeah, i'm aware my price range is pretty low. I've been looking around at other naked bike options as well, any suggestions? I basically just want to get on to something I like enough to keep for a few years before I can buy something new.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you from buying a Monster, just trying to set some expectations. I think a 2nd gen Monster would be a good choice. They are not as in demand as the S*R's so they are more affordable. You are buying at the right time of year, prices are a little depressed compared to late spring. I think you can get into one for what your budget is,just be careful in your search. If the seller cannot provide receipts proving the belts have been changed in the last two years, discount it by $250.00. They are pretty much the only catastrophic failure point on the motor and need to be addressed ASAP after purchase. Valves are also high on the list, but if the bike is running well they are more than likely good to go.

You're not going to find one with the red key in your price range, so having 2 working keys should be high on your priority list. Keep in mind that AFIK the closest Ducati dealer is in Raleigh so you need to find someone local or turn your own wrenches.

I'm in the Charlotte area, If you're willing to travel this far, I'll let you know if something pops up around here.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
This one is a little out of your price range, but it has high mount Termi's so if you could get it for ~$4K might be worth looking at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This one is a little out of your price range, but it has high mount Termi's so if you could get it for ~$4K might be worth looking at.
Yeah i'd be willing to travel to charlotte for the right bike. I could swing 4k if it was a smart buy. I'm still in the process of saving up for it, being in school it takes me a while to make any significant change. I really appreciate the help, do you have a link to the bike with the high mount termi's?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 11 of 11 Posts