Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 98' M900

The previous owner did a lot of mods

Ohlins
41 FCR's
Galfer discs
Brembo masters
Ducati Performance Steering Dampner

I just did a complete tail chop & low mount exhaust can 10'' shorty chop, & love it!!
I also mounted the lic plate under the seat & installed a Motodynamic's integrated rear tail light.
I now want to install the 30mm rear spacers to bring the tail up. I am 6' tall & I sit on the bike with a lot of knee flex.
The bike handles GREAT...so I thought if I raised the rear & then shave the seat down, would I be able to retain my GOOD handling?

Thanks for all the opinions!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have a 98' M900

The previous owner did a lot of mods

Ohlins
41 FCR's
Galfer discs
Brembo masters
Ducati Performance Steering Dampner

I just did a complete tail chop & low mount exhaust can 10'' shorty chop, & love it!!
I also mounted the lic plate under the seat & installed a Motodynamic's integrated rear tail light.
I now want to install the 30mm rear spacers to bring the tail up. I am 6' tall & I sit on the bike with a lot of knee flex.
The bike handles GREAT...so I thought if I raised the rear & then shave the seat down, would I be able to retain my GOOD handling?

Thanks for all the opinions!!
Sounds like quite a nice bike there.

If you raise the rear, your steering will become 'faster', why instead of installing spacers, not purchase and adjustable height rod and set up the suspension and bike for you in the process? If not wrong and my mind doesn't play games on me today, there's not much to where to rise the front proportionally to the rear, maybe 25mm from top of top triple clamp to top of fork, and that would still leave your rear higher than your front.

If you like the handling of the bike as it is, why not try a set of adjustable rear sets, this maybe, will accomodate you better on the bike and keep the handling.

I'm no expert on bikes, but, been doing lots of 'experimentation' with my bike and have found a 'compromise' between handling and comfort.

Just my 0.02

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Anything you do will change the handling of the bike. If you raise the rear, you reduce the trail. If you raise the front and rear, you change the CG. Etc, etc...............
Some changes will be hardly noticable and some will either improve of damage the handling dramatically.
Try changes a little at a time and judge for yourself. And............a steering damper will help you sleep at night.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anything you do will change the handling of the bike. If you raise the rear, you reduce the trail. If you raise the front and rear, you change the CG. Etc, etc...............
Some changes will be hardly noticable and some will either improve of damage the handling dramatically.
Try changes a little at a time and judge for yourself. And............a steering damper will help you sleep at night.
Yeah, this all about achieving the "look" I like without altering the great handling I now have.
Probably should ride her, save my $$$ and get the Streetfigher down the line!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah, this all about achieving the "look" I like without altering the great handling I now have.
Probably should ride her, save my $$$ and get the Streetfigher down the line!:rolleyes:
That's door number 2...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts