Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking in to purchasing a sr2 800 (first bike) in the spring, however I'm a little concerned about the comfortable factor and how stupid I might look being that I'm 6'4 214lbs. I really love the look of these bikes and would hate to have to choose something else because of my height. ??? Maybe some Pic of taller riders would help..

Thanks

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'm right with ya man. I don't have any pictures of me ON the bike, but I'm 6'2" at 225 pounds. The bike fits me perfectly and I ride a 2006 S2R1000, same geometry. The only problem I have is that my right heal hits the exhaust heat gard because my feet are so big (size 13). It took a little getting used to because my foot kept hitting it, but once I got used to it then it wasn't a big deal.

The bike will fit you just fine.

Will people say you look big on the bike? Sure they will.

But don't they tell you that about every else already? :)

I can't even ride in my girlfriends car because my head hits the roof. These are problems we learn to live with when we're tall. I had to buy a new truck just so I can fit comfortably into a vehicle.

You'll appear a tad large for the bike but it will fit you very comfortably.

Tom

I

·
0 Posts
I ride an s4r and I am 6'1" 250.... the bike is much more comfortable than my old zX6R or GSXR... but the exhaust does cause a problem for my size 13's... I am trying to buy the oberon touring pegs to resolve that issue... I will report back...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Worst case senario, you have to buy rearsets that will drop the pegs a little. Otherwise, go for it. If it is your first bike then you have nothing to compare it to and thus it shouldn't be a huge issue.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
+1 to thumper's remarks.

you'll probably look big on it, but with your stature that shouldn't be anything new.

i'm sure my 6'2", ~200lbs self has a lot of "presence" on the bike, but it's by no means uncomfortable to ride.

·
Registered
781 Posts
6'2", 230 lbs w/o gear, I also ride the S2R 800. It feels fine. I probably look a little big for it, but I'm not gonna buy a 'Busa or a Rocket III just to make me look smaller.

I wouldn't worry about looking stupid either, you'll be the one on the Duc. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
498 Posts
6'3" @ 215 US size 12's here. Love my Rs! >:D

Shemonster and I even took her little 620 from the restaurant back to the hotel in Ouray with no ill effects from the short jaunt.

Although I'd highly recommend going with heavier springs for the forks and the rear shock if you plan on carrying anything but yourself on a regular basis. :)

Pushing the Rs hard on a rough road I managed to get her stock Ohlins to bottom a couple of times riding solo. (Stock springs are setup for a 160lb rider.) I added 250lb aggressive springs front and rear and the Sag is perfect for me now. [thumbsup] (Heavier fork and rear springs will run you in the neighborhood of $250.00 USD.)

The stock exhaust "s" pipes on the S*R Monsters will cause you to splay your right heel out slightly when riding on the balls of your feet with the stock pegs. Not uncomfortably just a little awkward.

I rode my 04' S4R for two years totally stock so its not THAT bad. As others have stated you can change to an adjustable rearset/foot peg or you can change the exhaust which most folks do anyway. >:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
SHADOWCHASER said:
6'3" @ 215 US size 12's here. Love my Rs! >:D

Shemonster and I even took her little 620 from the restaurant back to the hotel in Ouray with no ill effects from the short jaunt.
The little Monster that could! [laugh]

I think I can....I think I can....

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
And......... failing all of that............... you could always get a Harley Fat Boy ................... ::) Oooh, I can't believe I said that ........ yes I can, it's past 4 glasses of wine, a cigar & I should be in bed soon.

Nah, if it feels OK to you, then never mind what others think. The Monster is bitchen! Wheee!

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
you think being tall is an inconvenience!!? at least you can see what's going on at games, concerts etc. you guys are the ones sitting/standing in front of me and i can see NOTHING!!! [laugh]
anyway, i'm 5'3" and i have ALWAYS been told i look too small on my bike, whatever one i was on, but i don't give a ****, i'm riding a duke and love it. that's all that matters to me. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I'm 6'2" at 225. Damn, we got some big boys ridin these things. You'll fit, but I might go for the DS1000 motor for the extra twist, just because we do scale at large economy size.

LA

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
ha ha ha, yeah you wanted some advice........you got it!!! :)

There ARE a lot of big guys on these bikes. I'm surprised myself actually.

As far as the springs are concerned? An upgrade would certainly be nice, but I dialed in my stock S2R1000 springs and compression rebound enough to easily wear the rubber OFF the edges of my tire in the turns. I never bottom out....of course I got the rear preload cranked almost all the way up. Not sure about the 800, but the 1000 has compression dampening up front and THAT works really well. I didn't even touch the spring preload up front. About 6 clicks on the rebound and only 1 click up on the compression. The front is great. The rear I preloaded almost all the way and about 6 clicks on the rebound.

Compression WOULD be nice on the back. Matris rear shock, to match my damper, is next on my list. After seeing the quality of Matris, Ohlins is no longer an option.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
You'll never look as bad as someone 6' on a MV Brutale. NO ONE looks small on that bike! [laugh]

If Ducati ever makes a scooter...it will be called the Ducster. Or is that the 620?
Oh, and that ducati scooter you're looking for... Ducati Brio

1 - 20 of 24 Posts