Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not exactly walking [for those who are too young to remember, the song is by "Fats" Domino, vintage 1957]. Am participating in a service project with 13 other people from up here to gut houses in N.O. next week. We get to tear out the putrid contents of houses flooded after "Katrina" last year and stabilize them for future renovation. The alternative is that they get bulldozed.

The amenities are great where we're staying: sleep on cots, shower in a trailer, no cable, no wireless internet. But I suspect that after a hard day's work and a beer and burger for supper our accommodations will be just fine.

For a very good picture of what we'll be doing, check out the following: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/02/AR2006080201705_pf.html. If anyone wants to know how they can participate, alone or with a group, please be in touch.

·
Registered
523 Posts
A big thank-you to you, Bill. It's nice to see that people haven't downplayed and forgotten what happened -- how many lives were affected or lost, the way things will never be the same, etc.. Sometimes I feel like a coward for abandoning the place, hiding out up here, and not DEALING with it, yet still holding onto my property.

·
Registered
302 Posts
that's excellent bill. Good work, and a satisfying project. Any time a house is kept out of the bulldozer's path i'm happy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Nice, I wish I'd heard about this earlier, might have arranged my vacation to help. My boss and I tried to organize donations of ATVs to the Red Cross with delivery (we wanted to make sure the volunteers knew what they were doing on the ATVs) but it all fell through. I think there was too much concern about comminicable diseases or some such.

Anyway, good on ya, Bill!

Lucy

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Genuine said:
Watch out for us looneys. See the front page of the Times-Picayune today:

nola.com
A photo caption accompanying that article reads, "Zackery Bowen and Addie Hall sit on a French Quarter stoop in the immediate days after Katrina. In an apparent murder-suicide, Bowen killed, dismembered, and cooked Hall's body."

Ah, cousin Zack. Always was a strange one. And not too bright, either. I mean, in a murder-suicide isn't the murderer supposed to off himself, too?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts