Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 900. The other day I was riding with some buddies (on jap bikes) and the certainly spanked me in the straight aways. I expected this.

What i didn't expect was a pretty fair amount of vibration above 80mph. My understanding is this bike should do about 130. I have to say it was pretty unsettleing above 90mph. down right scary at 110.

I am a commuter and don't get above 90 very much...but is this normal or shoudl i look at some things to make her smoother? I would liek to take some lonk trips..but she is shaking me to dealth.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have fairly new tires and chain. When the tires were installed i asked "you balanced them correctly right?". They assured me they were properly balanced.

let me ask this....Is everybody elses bike really smooth?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Depends a bit, not really smooth after 160km/h, becasue it is naked and I do not use the front fairing. Tires, road, wind, jacket, balancing the tires, will contribute some shakiness...

How many miles You got ? How many wheelies You have done ?

Really, I have not noticed vibration or other,
more like symptoms of excessive speed on a street like surface....

Skier

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
may just be a lack of fairings.. I am never comfortable above 90 (even though I actually hit 100 on my way in to work this morning 8)
I start to notice it at 80 as well.

H

·
0 Posts
Mine's smooth like a baby's bottom.

If the vibration is speed related, not rpm related, it's more than likely tires being out of balance. If it vibrates badly at 90 in more than one gear, it's not RPM related. Get it up to 90, pull in the clutch and coast, does the vibration go away? Probably not. I'd have the tires checked.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
16,000 miles..never done a whellie. the road surfaces have not been bad at all.

I did change the chain fairly recently...but did not change the sprockets. could worn sprockets cause it?

·
Registered
339 Posts
My 620 is nice and smooth up to 100, but that's my limit, not hers.

I can't see how not changing the sprockets would cause vibration like that - I would think the chain would absorb most or all of the vibration from even a badly worn sprocket. But, if the sprockets were worn and you put a new chain on them, you are significantly shortening the life of the chain. now if your cs sprocket is missing a tooth....

Bike shops are not known to do real effective jobs balancing tires. Over 90-100mph, a tire only a little out of balance can get pretty scary. fix is to try and balance it yourself - you can probably do a better job than they did with some scrap wood laying around the garage. I'll be this is the problem.

If they took the wheels off for the tires, you may want to see if they put them on correctly. I've heard folks talk about having the forks twisted out of alignment when a hack improperly mounts the front wheel -- I would think that could cause some vibration since the wheel is not turning true anymore..

good luck,
mike

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have a 99 M900 with 6000 miles on it and a fresh set of Dunlops. I can cruise super smooth at 80mph, 90-100mph I start to notice more wind and helmet buffing. My bike doesn't vibrate bad at 100mph, it's the wind from no fairing that beats me up.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
My bike is NOT smooth, mostly at low speeds.
At low rpm's it tends to vibrate a lot. I think a Ducati likes to go fast. The faster I go, the less vibration there is. Hmmm ;)

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Mine's smooth all the way to 110, 115 (downhill with wind behind..!).

it's probably a wheel balancing problem.. weights fall off sometimes.. tires can slip on the rim sometimes...

check it our using Herb's advice.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
mine is pretty smooth. sat on a freinds buell, yikes! talk about vibration. if i were a chick i may have liked it a bit :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
You have a twin, so it's never going to be smooth like the Japanese bikes. I do notice some additional buffeting above 100mph, but to me that's to be expected...

M

·
0 Posts
I hit 130 pretty regularly and unless its really windy I don't have a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I have never had vibration issues up to an indicated 132. A lot of wind, but what the heck do I expect at 132?

Regards,
Rideon

S

·
0 Posts
I know the earlier bikes were fitted with rubber discs between the cooling fins of the engine. These act as dampeners and sometimes fall off. Check if you've still got some fitted....if not your vibration may be increased as a result.
The 90 degree L engine design has some natural balance, unlike say a 60 degree V, like the Aprilia , which has to have a balancer shaft in it, so it should be reasonably smooth, if all's OK (!) ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well. I went up to 100 and pulled the clutch in as suggested.

I think the vibration is due to high RPM. Above 6000 you can really start to feel a very rapid vibration in hands and feet (and ass). I feels like a big two wheeled...um dil....i mean massager. seriously, if you could imagine a one of those big neck and back massagers....on wheels...that is what it feels like. I can deal with the wind and such...but with the vibration...my hands and feet literally go numb.

any thoughs on that?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts