Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now I am torn. Everyone chime in and tell me your opinion. I have tried to find a windscreen for my 2000 Dark 900. I found a carbon fiber screen from Ducati Performance...but it doesn't fit and I can't fit the bike cover over it. I like the looks without, but sometimes I think a windscreen looks better in pictures.

For those of you that have gone with and without a windscreen....Does it make THAT much difference?

Also, Which do you think Looks Better...with or without?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've got two bikes with windscreens and the Monster without. A windscreen can be useful or useless. If it takes some pressure off the chest without buffeting the head it's handy to have on longer rides. Personally I bought the Monster to be my naked bike and I'll leave it naked.

As usual, you'll have to decide what you want to do with your bike. Isn't it keen to have all these possibilities?

-Don

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'm kinda torn about the windscreen also.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Don't. ;D

The only time I regretted not having one was on a track day.

For me, wind becomes a nuisance over 90Mph. The roads I like taking are more technical than fast, and on the freeway I prefer not to push my luck with the CHP, so it's rarely a problem.

OTOH, if you're one of those who don't mind a tank bag spoiling the bike contour, then maybe you're past the point of caring and a even a 'stich might be in your future ;)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I like the old style screen on my '99.

Don't like the new ones.

Old is much more secure at speed.

Old shares stylistic cues with old PS and MH 750s

Really does help at 80 mph (and up ;D)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey All -

First time adding my own two cents on the site - though I've saved thousands thanks to all the excellent advice I've found here! [smiley=waytogo.gif] )

I, too, keep going back and forth on this for my S4. Disliked the performance and, to a degree, the aesthetics of the stock fairing. Tried the Dart which I do like aesthetically but seemed to experience a heightened sense of wind blast to the face with. Presently I'm checking things out without any fairing whatsoever.

So far, the absence of a fairing doesn't seem to bother me all that much. In fact, at freeway speeds it's actually a bit quieter overall. I am definitely more aware of the blast hitting me in the chest, but the turbulence seems more evenly distributed (if that makes any sense! [smiley=rolleyes.gif]) than the more focused blast to the head I felt when using a fairing.

Anyway... make that contribution 2 1/2 cents. I may actually consider modifying the angle and height of the Dart if and when time permits... otherwise, I'm kinda liking the naked look at the moment. (Topless?) You certainly can't go wrong either way.

Good luck and have fun!
Christian

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My dark came without one... then I added an old style fairing... but it will probably come off this spring. Just seems right without it on a monster.

G

·
When I had my V Max. It has a small cowl type screen like the Monster. I found it better without it. Like previously said, the wind pressure becomes much more even and not as turbulant. Less lift off the helmet too.
I have yet to take the screen off the S4R, but as soon as my dual lights arrive I will. After that I will know which I like better on the Monster.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Gotta have a windscreen. They do make a big difference. I used the DP screen with the optional larger windshield. I also bent the mounts a bit to make the screen more vertical. I works quite well and makes a BIG difference. Keep in mind that I'm only 5' 8 " though.

·
Banned
773 Posts
i'm on my third variation of fairing/flyscreen (DP, Metisse & Dart), so i guess that answers the question as to whether i think "I" need one. i ride at night a lot and sometimes do the unthinkable and don't gear up as i should. lots of bugs here in virginia ;D

·
Registered
400 Posts
I definately like the look of the original fairing on the Monster. I'll be going with one shortly. On my Jap cafe bike I've got a small quarterfairing which I like the looks of and does a good job of wind protection. It's sister ship is nekid and there is quite the difference. But then, it all boils down to personal preference. You could always try one and if you didn't like it, take it off and sell it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just got a Dart and I really like it. It offers good protection for its size and I painted the brackets black so it is now almost invisible. It may come off in the spring , but for the winter it keeps that icy draft off my neck.

G

·
My first bike was a Rebel and I never went fast enough to really notice wind blasts. LOl Then the Bandit and Ninja had fairings. Although nice, especially on cold days to tuck behind for a little warmth, i never really like the looks of them.

I prefer to old cafe racer look, like the old Triumphs and Nortons, BSAs, Velocettes, and "Tritons." Unless it was a "bikini" fiaring like on the new Triumph Thruxton, but otherwise I think a bike should have two things

1) visiable engine
2) no fairing

lol odd

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
If you ride mostly around town or short rides in the mountains, hills or whatever you probably do not need one. Personally I have tried it both ways (that sounds bad, not that there is anything wrong with that...) and on the HWY I would not even consider more then a 30 minute ride without one! Around town, there is no real advantage, just prefernce on looks.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
When I first wanted, and later purchased, a monster the FIRST thing I wanted to do was get Dual Headlights. Well 2 years later I think that would "unMonster it" and now I even WANT a fairing.

Perhaps get one, and put it on in winter, and take it off in Summer?

G

·
I hate the look of a fairing on a Monster.

Mine came with one and I took it off within 5 minutes of the bike hitting my garage.

If anyone is interested, I'd like to get it out of my garage. It is a DP carbon fiber one, the receipt shows the first owner paid around $385 for it.

Make me an offer!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I also went back and forth between having the fairing and not. now its off and staying off. looks better and the amount of wind protection IMHO it offers is not that much different than riding without it. go nekkid! oh and lose the fenders and tail while your at it ;D

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Most of the time my Dart fairing (or flyscreen as the Brits call it) is off the bike, but it is great for longer trips where it does take the pressure off your chest. Doesn't look too bad IMO when on the bike (all clear plastic). I'm not a big fan of the stock screens though. Too much flapping around gets distracting. The Dart is rock solid.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
A monster is a naked bike.So, it should be naked !It looks more "bad" without a windscreen .Of course ,air ,is a big problem on high speeds but ,hey ,you got a monster you have to be one yourself ! If you can't fight wind ,sell your bike and buy a car !

1 - 20 of 36 Posts