Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are on ebay right now. Sounds like a deal and they offer free shipping. Are these any good?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Those are the ones Ive got on the Monster Patrick. We can have them put on in an aftrenoon if ya want

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I ordered mine today. I checked with the seller and they confirmed that if they get bent, you can replace the bars with ordinary 7/8" tube, like the Roadracing ones Fillmore talked about in another thread.

·
Registered
796 Posts
good tip!, I just looked at them and noticed that they are not the kind that have rise to them. I dont think I would want to mount them under the top triple, that would really put your hands down low, and if you raised the forks up to put them on top your front end would be way down and you would lose ground clearance. Anyone shine some light on this?

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Can anybody who's mounted these (or similar) comment on the difference in handling before and after raising the forks? jD is right--I figure I'll have to raise the forks about an inch above where they already are. I don't think I want my bike to handle any quicker, but maybe the increased stability from clipons offsets that. Anyway, I figure if I hate the effect, I'll sell them and buy something with a narrower clamp, or else add a steering damper.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
yes i am interested also in anyones experience with raising the forks tubes up about an inch or so to mount clipons above the triple...

is the handling really changed all that much?
i guess you would have to be more wary of tankslappers...but on the other hand I see alot of people raising their rear ride height to gain better better turn-in...

so, wouldnt raising the front fork tubes be the same? (except for a little loss of ground clearance...

let us know if you have done it and what you think...PLEASE :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've used the vortex clips with stock forks, no problems. Great clip ons.
Actually I found them to be too high above the triple for me..so I raised the forks even more....as a side note my rear is raised also....maybe it is relative, but never found the front end to be a problem like that, I had an Ohlins in the rear and the forks were race-teched, so maybe that means something, but I don't think so. Monsters are set up as cruisers, getting clip ons and raising the rear and the forks, just made things better for me, read better planted, better turning, no wallow, but I assume for others it may not be what you are looking for.
If you are running triangulated tires like Dunlops, you may not appreciate the affect of quicker steering.
I think to a large degree it also is dependent on where and how you drive, but I would not worry about things getting too squirely if putting clip ons above the triple, providing your suspension and tires are good.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Paul,
I was faced with the same problem, i got a set of Pro-Flo Clip on's off someone from the board site unseen. No problem with the deal of course, but the depth of the section that bolts to the fork i found out when they arrived is 44mm.

My bike had only 19mm proud of the top of the triple.

I tried putting them underneath, but with the bar angle facing down as as much as it did, it was just too far down. Felt bl00dy awfull to ride.

So i thought, hey, i just want to see what clipo's are like so i may as well drop the front (raise the fork tubes up through the triple) & see what its like. Then i can always get Cycle cats or something that doesent have such a large boss area to bolt on later if they work out.

So i dropped the front 25mm & bolted them on top. Absolutely Bl00dy terrific, just the right lean over the tank to feel at one with bike. It goes so much quicker through corners it's hard to believe. I love the way it handles.

Ground clearance is an issue, i scrape the pipe more ofted now & the bike sit's noticably more Vertical on the stand because of the reduced ground clearance. so much so i usually find somewhere sloping down hill to park on if i leave it outside anywhere. (just paranoid i'm sure)

I found out from another thread that i probably have to stiffen up the rear spring. But with just me on it, it feels great with the CO'ns

When the bank ballance comes good again i will most likely get Cycle cats, mount em underneath & use the riser kit to get to where i am now, & put the forks back to where they were.

Anyway for now, i love it!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've used the vortex clips with stock forks, no problems. Great clip ons.
Actually I found them to be too high above the triple for me..so I raised the forks even more....as a side note my rear is raised also....maybe it is relative, but never found the front end to be a problem like that, I had an Ohlins in the rear and the forks were race-teched, so maybe that means something, but I don't think so. Monsters are set up as cruisers, getting clip ons and raising the rear and the forks, just made things better for me, read better planted, better turning, no wallow, but I assume for others it may not be what you are looking for.
If you are running triangulated tires like Dunlops, you may not appreciate the affect of quicker steering.
I think to a large degree it also is dependent on where and how you drive, but I would not worry about things getting too squirely if putting clip ons above the triple, providing your suspension and tires are good.
I think you sold me on them. Why do you say it would be odd with the dunlops? I run 208s and love them, the front does have a very drastic arc do you think the combo of low front end and these tires would be twitchy?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing odd about it, but noticable and I feel it worth mentioning that a connection to steering exists between tires and suspension also, and not just lowering the front, raising the rear, or adding clip ons, let alone one's environment and ability. So if you make changes, your bike may behave differently then mine. Actually I prolly should say 'will' behave differently.
Also since you are affecting the geometry of the bike x amount, triangulated tires like the Dunlop 208's will tend to fall into a turn more readily, then other types of tires. Some do not like that feeling, nor realize it could well be tire related. As for twitchy, my experience is that Dunlops 208ZR's suck big time. They suck when wet, handle funny, and are very prone to head shake. I never had a worse set of tires on my bike. Frustrated by my experience with them, I started asking questions of Dunlop reps, and track tire guys who sell them. I also let other people like Manley cycle ride them. Everyone confirmed my opinion without my influence, in short order. In fact the track tire guy at Willow asked "What, don't like tank slappers?" Again while this seems to indicate to me that I am not alone here, I must also consider what are the other contributing factors to make these tires suck so much when others love them. Maybe if my compression and comp damping was stiffer....etc. So if you like them, and already sense what they are doing for you, I don't think you would be displeased, by adding clip ons. I just cannot in good conscience recommend 208ZR's.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Wow! good info! I have only tried Avons (hated um), Bridge 012rs (liked um), sportech M1 (didnt turn in very well), and the 208s. I was thinking about putting 208gps on my bike next but maybe I will try something different.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
OK, I'm just waiting for the Vortex's to arrive in the mail. Thanks to all for the reassurance. I did my lame-a$$ fork raise without proper tools yesterday (see http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bi...ech;action=display;num=1077467157;start=13#13)...not recommended but it did work. I just put on the Bridgestone 010/020 combo and had one day to scrub them in before my handlebar crisis. I think they'll be a good match for the new setup. We'll see if I start scraping parts more often :eek:

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Update #2: I finally got them today. Not only that, I got two! The company I ordered from originally failed to cancel the order as requested. They are willing to take them back, but I just thought I'd post to see if anyone wants them and can't get them quickly. If so, let me know.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I'll take a pic as soon as I can get the bike out of the garage (snapped throttle cable, but not due to the installation).

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
OK, I can post a report. I'll follow up with a pic soon but I just haven't had a chance. The clip ons are very good quality and seem very strong (see below). Installation was not difficult but required routing the cables, so you have to remove the headlight and fairing, no problem there.

Riding it is like a completely different bike and one I'm going to have to get used to. Disclaimer: I've never owned a full-on sportbike--those of you who have will be familiar with all of this. As expected, there is far more pressure on my wrists and I am much further forward on the (Sargent) seat. The bike seems much smaller for my 6'2" frame as a result--not quite uncomfortable but my knees don't tuck in quite as well. Control and stability is excellent (especially with the new steering damper) but "flickability" is somewhat diminished, which showed up on the very twisty and bumpy west side of Fairfax-Bolinas Road http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/FairfaxBolinas.htm. I didn't notice ground clearance issues (yet) but I wasn't riding full-on, I was in jeans. The bars are at an 11 degree angle which is rather steep. It's fine when riding, but 3rd Eye bar-ends don't work very well--they are blocked by my elbows. I've actually put the mickey mouses back on until I can find some 10mm mount mirrors I like and can afford.

The biggest issue is one someone posted in a different thread: raising the forks enough to mount the clipons makes the bike sit MUCH more vertically on the sidestand and it is MUCH more prone to tip-overs. The bars have only been on the bike four days and already my garage neighbor has knocked it over. Yeah, she shoulda been more careful but I'm sure this wouldn't have happened with the stock fork height. (I won't tell her that though) :-X I didn't look at it very closely but it appears the only damage is a slight scrape on the fancy painted fairing. The clipons seem fine, even though the bike landed right on them.

So I'm looking at bending the sidestand slightly to allow the bike to sit lower and more securely. Has anyone done this? I'm going to post this in a different thread too.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
good report, I can't wait to see the pics. I was bidding on some new ones and forgot to watch the auction. They ended at $80 - My last bid was $75. That would have been sweet to get them for that price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are some pictures of my bike w/ the vortex, I can't comment right now but I will do so later when I have more time. ENJOY let me know what you think

1 - 20 of 29 Posts