Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Fall my voltage regulator died and left me stranded. I installed an OEM regulator I bought used on eBay. It worked fine until today. 30 mile ride home. 4 miles away from home my check engine light came on, on the expressway. 1 mile from home the bike lost a lot of power and sounded very loud through the air box. 100 feet from home the bike died and I coasted right into my garage. Got lucky this time but I'm getting tired of fixing my Monster.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Ask yourself, did you really fix it by installing a used voltage R/R that has a known issue for overheating and burning out? Should you ask yourself if you bought a worn out part and swapped it in place for a dead R/R?

The real answer is buy a Mosfet unit from a Panigale and wire adapter kit.

I burned out the unit on my Paul Smart and swapped the R/R from my S4RS into it. Of course it didn't take long for the Sport Classic to chew through that used R/R, especially being installed under a seat with no air flow. I purchased a Mosfet unit with a harness adapter (as I don't wish to make permanent wiring changes on that collectable bike) and the unit has been trouble free. I also purchased a second set up and replaced the one on the S4RS I had stolen from myself.

You can purchase kits from a few online retailers. One is a poorly designed website coming from a guy's garage but the parts harness was perfect and he had a great price on the R/R. I can look it up if you need.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bought the used regulator, it was off a crashed Monster and was OEM. I didn't know the OEM regulators were known to burn out. Regulators typically last the life of a vehicle, I guess not with Ducati's. I looked up the Mosfet regulators and will try one of those. I found a few retailers online.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ask yourself, did you really fix it by installing a used voltage R/R that has a known issue for overheating and burning out? Should you ask yourself if you bought a worn out part and swapped it in place for a dead R/R?

The real answer is buy a Mosfet unit from a Panigale and wire adapter kit.

I burned out the unit on my Paul Smart and swapped the R/R from my S4RS into it. Of course it didn't take long for the Sport Classic to chew through that used R/R, especially being installed under a seat with no air flow. I purchased a Mosfet unit with a harness adapter (as I don't wish to make permanent wiring changes on that collectable bike) and the unit has been trouble free. I also purchased a second set up and replaced the one on the S4RS I had stolen from myself.

You can purchase kits from a few online retailers. One is a poorly designed website coming from a guy's garage but the parts harness was perfect and he had a great price on the R/R. I can look it up if you need.
I believe the guy you are talking about is Jack at roadstercycle.com. Many other forums mention him. I bought the Shindengen FH020AA with the Triumph harness from roadstercycle. Looks like a direct fit for my M696.

Also, I did talk to my local Ducti dealer. He believes Ducati updated the voltage regulators around 2012. I'm not sure if that means if I buy a replacement for my 2010 M696 that I'll get the updated version. They do come with 1 year warranty ONLY if dealer installed. So I went with the Mosfet version from roadstercycle. Should be good and it's $35 less in cost.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Just know it wasn't only Ducati. Basically every manufacturer bought into this R/R and stator set only to have them burn up from around 2000-2012 or so. There is a reason Roadster is in business selling only R/R stuff and has so many adapter kits. There are literally hundreds of threads on here in regards to replacing this unit and which Shindgren mosfet unit to purchase. There used to be a handy sticky for what parts swap for other parts and this was at the top of that list.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
marvin

Last Fall my voltage regulator died and left me stranded. I installed an OEM regulator I bought used on eBay. It worked fine until today. 30 mile ride home. 4 miles away from home my check engine light came on, on the expressway. 1 mile from home the bike lost a lot of power and sounded very loud through the air box. 100 feet from home the bike died and I coasted right into my garage. Got lucky this time but I'm getting tired of fixing my Monster.
As stated elsewhere. Buy a mosfet regulator. There are options other than Ducati which are much cheaper. Heat is what destroys non mosfet regulators. When the battery gets charged it transfers all of the energy into heat. Your regulator should be mounted using heat transfer compound on the backside of it. Preferably mounted on some sort of heatsink or other than OEM location (where it can get some air flow)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Standard MOSFET regulator slightly reduces heat dissipation, but still needs decent cooling. Most of them are still shunt-type regulators.
I think the old Shindengen FH012AA is this type

Next best step is a regulator that has temperature protection, switches off when too hot, and on when cooled down (you'll ride on battery only for some time).
E.g. Shindengen FH020AA (50Amps) (now also used by Yamaha, Ducati, etc)

Ultimate step is a series-type regulator, much lower heat dissipation. Also the way to go if you fry your stator
Some of them have lower power capabilities, and/or limited max RPM.
E.g. Shindengen SH775 (max 9000 RPM, 35Amps)

Top of the bill is Shindengen SH847 (max 14k RPM, 50Amps), but is expensive, and BIG

Good information to be found at https://www.roadstercycle.com/, also has some nice conversion sets

Oh, a good R/R is not cheap, don't go for the china knock-offs!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All- has anyone had luck installing the Mosfet SH847 on their monster 696. Jack from roadstercycle recommended it to me since I have led lights etc however I'm a bit nervous due to its size- any feedback would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Claire

·
Registered
126 Posts
On the Monster 696/796/1100 the regulator is located at the front where it gets plenty of air and will not overheat unlike previous generation.

Did you troubleshoot the regulator and the stator to check which one is faulty?
Are you certain that the regulator is fried?

The only time I had an electrical issue was due a brand new lithium

If you swap to a different model of regulator you will have to fabricate a bracket for it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
On my S4RS the PO mounted a second VR under the rear fender as a spare. I haven’t had to use it yet.
Did Jack supply dimensions for the sh847 ? Is he aware of others who have mounted it on a 696 ? I wouldn’t think location is critical as long as it gets a little air flow. I take it Jack doesn’t sell mounting kits ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's definitely the regulator. The sh847 from roadstercycle just seemed way too big so I opted for a mosfet from Ricks Motorsport Electronics and it fits great! Wires are a tad longer than the OEM so I need a few extra zip ties to make it neat, but no big deal. I ran it for a bit and it seemed to be hot however once it gets some airflow i believe the temp will come down. Looking forward to a nice ride this weekend 🤩

·
Registered
934 Posts
Lots of people recommend Rick’s. Thanks for the update, Claire.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The SH847 is the same size as the FH020AA that I bought from roadstercycle for my M696. Fits great and works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts