Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the time has finally come for me to visit the mothership (cupertino) so it looks like I'll be flying out there and holing up in San Jose area for two weeks or so next month. It will be my first time in that part of Cali so I'm looking to plan some kind of agenda to keep me busy and see the sights while I'm not undergoing corporate indoctrination. Soooooooo i thought some of you locals might have some tips for me... pretty much open to anything right now.

So what the hell is there to do around there?

I'll be heading up to SF for sure to catch up with a high-school buddy beyond that no plans yet. Is there decent public transportation between Santa Clara valley and SF? Should I rent a car? Hell, where can I rent a bike?

I'm checking the area out on Google earth and it looks like there's plenty of mountains and hills on either side (guess that's why it's called a valley duh)... good riding roads there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Glad to have a visitor! You'll definitely love the Bay Area. It's culturally similar to Austin in many ways, and the riding here is phenomenal (my company's based in Austin so I visit 5-6 times a year).

Public transit between San Jose and SF is not great. Caltrain is about the only viable option, but even that takes over an hour. You can rent a car, but parking in SF may be a hassle at times. In any event, post up when you have firm dates...many of us will be up for an impromptu Zeitgeist night or two. Also, DanTheMan lives down in San Jose so he can probably comment more on transport.

As for sights, check out this thread:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=67228.0

There are places to rent sport bikes here, but definitely check the weather forecast before you reserve. And we're always up for a group ride >:D

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
There are truly awesome roads around. However, in Jan, the roads on the Penninsula are often wet with slipper pine needles and leaves. You gotta watch out and take it down a notch or two.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Keep in mind, he's coming in from a part of the world where it rains throughout the year.

He'll be able to handle our wet roads. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Tigre said:
Keep in mind, he's coming in from a part of the world where it rains throughout the year.

He'll be able to handle our wet roads. [thumbsup]
Yeah, but rainwater on the ground evaporates there and becomes the oppressive humidity you get all over the south ;D

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm coming ready for fog. Not much else, but i'll be ready for fog.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Dont worry, there's not much Fog in SJ, Just stay away from the City and the beach. But there isn't much to do in SJ, as far as site seeing, so youll have to go there.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow.... $125 a day for a gixxer 600... funny how it costs way more to rent a bike than a car. I'll probably pick one up for a few days... can't get a bmw since I haven't ridden 1200cc bikes for 2 years :mad: so I guess its the rice rockets for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts