Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Visiting San Diego in Feb- Looking for Local Advice

616 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  DesmosDromos 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm from the Philly area and will be out in San Diego on business in early February. I'm thinking of renting a bike for a day trip the one day I'll have mostly free. Do any of you guys have suggestions on where to rent a bike and where to ride in the area? I was thinking of picking up the MAD Map for the area and bringing my GPS. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 ·
DesmosDromos said:
Hey all, I'm from the Philly area and will be out in San Diego on business in early February. I'm thinking of renting a bike for a day trip the one day I'll have mostly free. Do any of you guys have suggestions on where to rent a bike and where to ride in the area? I was thinking of picking up the MAD Map for the area and bringing my GPS. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Hey Dave,

I know there's a sportbike rental place in Huntington Beach that rents 749's & they deliver. I'd be up for riding down & taking a spin so you can see your old jacket [laugh]

Where are you staying?

#3 ·
I'll be at the WYNDHAM SAN DIEGO on West Broadway.

I was looking at California Sport Bike rentals and thinking about the MTS or a VFR. If I'm going to do a bunch of riding that day I don't know that I'll be comfortable on a 749 or other bike with more aggressive ergos.

I appreciate the offer to meet up and yeah, I'd be up for seeing some locals. Be aware my riding will likely be limited to mid-week during the day.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Is it worth riding out to any of the "local" state or national parks?

I'm seeing Joshua Tree National Park, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, Salton Sea, etc. as pretty close. Are any of them worth a trip?

#5 ·
My parents live in North County (Poway). So most of the riding I know of is going to start about 20 miles Northeast from where you'll be staying. But if you're talking about riding all the way to Jashua Tree, then it sounds like you probably won't care. Here are some fun places to go ride. I put in the destinations on the map and you can plan your route out to those places however you want. Or you can PM me with your phone number and I can give you some suggestions.

+Palomar Mountain Map - very popular riding spot
+Borrego Springs Map - the road that drops from Ranchita to Borrego Springs is fun, and it's fairly close to Palomar.
+There's a road called Highland Valley Road that goes from Escondido to Ramona. It's a fun road, but be very careful. Lots of rolling hills and blind corners.
+The road from Ramona to Julian is a nice ride. Make sure to stop at Dudley's Bakery in Santa Ysabel. Good stuff...
+I've heard the road that comes up off the 8 freeway to Mt Laguna is fun, but I've never been down there.
+There are lots of small backroads near Lake Henshaw (right by Palomar Mountain) that can be fun to go explore. Some are not maintained as well as the main roads though, so be aware. There's a road called Mesa Grande right by Lake Henshaw that is very nice, but there almost always leaves on the road.

#6 ·
Guaps said:
My parents live in North County (Poway). So most of the riding I know of is going to start about 20 miles Northeast from where you'll be staying. But if you're talking about riding all the way to Jashua Tree, then it sounds like you probably won't care. Here are some fun places to go ride. I put in the destinations on the map and you can plan your route out to those places however you want. Or you can PM me with your phone number and I can give you some suggestions.

+Palomar Mountain Map - very popular riding spot
+Borrego Springs Map - the road that drops from Ranchita to Borrego Springs is fun, and it's fairly close to Palomar.
+There's a road called Highland Valley Road that goes from Escondido to Ramona. It's a fun road, but be very careful. Lots of rolling hills and blind corners.
+The road from Ramona to Julian is a nice ride. Make sure to stop at Dudley's Bakery in Santa Ysabel. Good stuff...
+I've heard the road that comes up off the 8 freeway to Mt Laguna is fun, but I've never been down there.
+There are lots of small backroads near Lake Henshaw (right by Palomar Mountain) that can be fun to go explore. Some are not maintained as well as the main roads though, so be aware. There's a road called Mesa Grande right by Lake Henshaw that is very nice, but there almost always leaves on the road.
Hey, thanks much for the info. That kinda validates my thoughts to ride out towards Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and Salton Sea. It looks like I can spend most of the day riding around there checking out roads and taking some pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.