Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking to buy a 2006 s2r 800/1000-(seller isn't sure what it is)and I think there may be discrepancies with VIN and engine #. I did a search and found a vin cheat sheet but still have questions. Please help.

VIN#
ZDM1RABP76B084667
Engine#
RAA5007036
Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, either way, I ended up buying the bike, Still don't know what I really have. VIN says it's a 1000, under-seat cowl says it's an 800. If anyone could help with the engine decode that would be awesome! Or do I have to take the clutch cover off and see if it's wet or dry? Here she is:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why is the horizontal exhaust pipe disconnected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure. Where do you mean...near the head? it's an optical illusion. It seems like all the clamps at exhaust connections are missing. That spot I think your looking at is just black from the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Not sure. Where do you mean...near the head? it's an optical illusion. It seems like all the clamps at exhaust connections are missing. That spot I think your looking at is just black from the exhaust. View attachment 224398
Yes, that’s exactly the spot I’m referencing. Quite the illusion!!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Gotcha, but how do I know if it's wet or dry? By sounds or do I need to pop off the clutch cover?
Sound easily dictates, the dry clutch rattle is distinct. Also, by the looks of your clutch cover it’s one piece which would indicate to me a wet clutch. The dry version has an easily detached surface cover to access the plates and basket.

Note the extra bolts to secure the clutch cover in this after market piece. The same bolt holes would be in your stock cover if it were a dry set up.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Note also the use of a different, low-effort at the lever, clutch design for the 800.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Note also the use of a different, low-effort at the lever, clutch design for the 800.

Thanks for all the help and info

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I can see it's an 800 because it only has one spark plug per cylinder.
1000 are DS engine (Dual Spark).
Good info. Thanks, I did not know that about the plugs. However, I found this statement on a website saying there is an 800ss

"Two years ago Ducati brought out the S2R, with the 800SS dual-spark engine, quality suspension and both pipes on the right for a bad-ass custom look. Now, for 2006 it has upgraded the format with the biggest and strongest development of the air-cooled SS engine yet, the 992cc Multistrada 1000DS engine. "

1 - 12 of 12 Posts