Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the Gap for our sixth annual ride. Just a quick video I slapped together, nothing special, but definitely a lot of fun. If you live within a 12 hour drive of TN, totally worth the trip.

I was pissed, the actually fast runs weren't shot because the camera kept skipping into timer mode instead of video, so the only runs I got were a warm up run and a low speed reverse angle. Add a little Cash and a quick edit and this is what you get.

Ducati Monster on the Tail of the Dragon

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great shooting !

Love the soundtrack !

One day I'll get there to see for myself, one day...

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I grew up with Johnny Cash from my old man and punk from my sister so I figured it was appropriate. Plus the folks I was down there with were calling me The Man in Black all weekend because of my bike/leathers.

The two angles were actually shot on two very different runs. The forward run was a warm up to scrub in a new tire, so I wasn't pushing it too hard. The reverse angle was actually in traffic, all the quicker parts were from hanging back a few turns then catching up. It was a challenge to cut it all together and make it look like it was even remotely from the same run with the speed difference :)

The truly fast videos never shot because of my ham handing the controls on the GoPro. If you hold the power button to turn it on a millisecond too long it kicks into timer camera mode instead of video so we didn't catch any of the good stuff. By the time we realized it wasn't recording I had just made four back to back runs, I was exhausted and didn't feel safe making another one just to get video.

If you've never been to the Gap, make it a point to get there. There aren't many roads in the US that compare, and almost none in the eastern states. Also check out the Cherohala Skyway and NC 28 while you're down there. Motorcycle Mecca.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice helmet and jacket! I bet you turn some heads coming around on that black 695. Where'd you get them?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nice helmet and jacket! I bet you turn some heads coming around on that black 695. Where'd you get them?
The jacket is actually my summer jacket I just picked up from Cycle Gear, a Dainese Laguna Seca (http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=DAI_1533582-606-54). Love it, I needed the perforated leather before I dropped dead from heat exhaustion. The helmet is a Fulmer V2 (http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/afv2.html - yes, it comes in deep flake bass boat colors), and I get more compliments/WTF comments on that thing than I expected. I picked it up from Pete's Cycle in MD, but Fulmer doesn't sell over the web so you'd have to find your own reseller. I HIGHLY suggest trying it on, they tend to run VERY small. I wear a large Scorpion Exo700, but I'm a 2XL in the Fulmer. The bubble shield is also Fulmer, their dealers should carry it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've got an '08 S4RS Tricolore, but opted to drive my 300hp '07 Ariel Atom instead of riding when I was at Deal's Gap this summer:

Those Atoms are insane. I bet you had a riot taking those curves. Now, it begs the question, which is more fun, a bike or the Atom?

·
Registered
16 Posts
^ At this point, it's not really a fair comparison because I'm not a very experienced rider, so I can push a LOT harder in the Atom than I can on the Duc. Plus, the S4RS isn't really designed for track use as such.

But more than anything, I realize that it's my body (and possibly my life) if I dump the bike. When (not if) I spin the Atom (which I have done on track days more than once), it just throws grass all over the place. At least that has been my experience so far and thankfully, I haven't spun it in quite a while.

The straight line acceleration is very similar, but something about being in a 5 point harness and steel cage really helps in terms of the confidence it inspires in corners. So I guess I'd say that both are crazy fun but I'm still quite cautious on the bike.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Well, that and you should be able to brake later and take curves faster in the Atom. This was really a great video though, and I agree that the soundtrack was appropriate. I just wish there were roads like that here in the Bay Area.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
After I spun my Birkin the second time, on wet roads, I retreated to my old Mini Cooper S. Decided my reflexes were very un-Schumacher-esque, but forgave my old bones, and went on to the the next thing. S4RS may not be a race tool, but is very forgiving, brakes, suspension and all that. Total riot as well, which is what I seek. Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts