Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a '02 m750sie (2900miles) and love the styling, brakes,handling, and easy access for maintenance. Starts easy, plugs are fine. Sounds and runs great off the line, especially when shifting at 4k and above. However it does NOT like a steady 50 - 55mph. Instrument pod shudders like crazy, and bike is real "thumpy" when tying to increase speed out of this range w/out shifting. Is this normal? Riding since '70, but my first dooocati. Thanks for your help.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Only happens when cruising along in 5th gear at a steady 50 -55mph. I suppose its at about 3200rpm or so. Bike is smooth below and above these speeds. Very steady at 65+.
Vibration is pretty isolated from me, don't feel it in the pegs/bars/seat. I can see it in the pod and also feel the engine being very "thumpy" when slowly accelerating out of this speed range and not changing gears. Should this be in the tech section? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you're learning the traits of a smallish twin, in too high a gear, at too low an RPM. I'm sure it sounds neat, but you'd be better off in a lower gear. You might also consider a 14 tooth front sprocket. Cheap upgrade.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it might be "normal" for this twin. Had a bmw r75/6 for 22 years but wanted more brakes, better handling, light weight and a fairing - went to a cbr600f4I. Yowza! Loved it but wanted a little better ergos and also something a tad out of the ordinary - thus the m750sie. Nicest looking bike I've had and brakes are the best. handling is fine, but am getting used to the idea of not cruising in 5th until about 60 or so. I think it's the nature of a small twin, but was a little surprised in the great difference in vibration between a flat twin (the beemer) and a v-twin. many thanks for the replies -- any more comments out there, dare I ask?

·
Registered
852 Posts
My bike would be vibrating at 3200rpm in 5th, and that's since it was brand new last year. I talked to my dealer and their answers were always "downshift". It's apparently a trait of the small-ish v-twin. I would tend to agree with Herb.

I think it is normal, just rev the baby! She likes it rough. ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
many thanks for the replies, thought I had it figured but wanted to be sure. love my 750sie and want to treat 'er right!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts