Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday night a friend of mine gave me a call and wanted to go out for a short ride. I was a cool dry New England night and I quickly realized the bike was feeling very good! By the time we got to the end of my street I noticed that it was one of those rides where I felt perfectly connected to the bike so I suggested we head over to a local favorite twisty road. After making one pass to make sure there was no debris on the road we turned around and I took off for a fast run. I know every twist, hill, dip, and crack on this road and was nearly at the end when the last left hand sweeping turn (has a slightly decreasing radius before leading uphill) came up. This turn is typically a no-brainer, but something went wrong just as I got back on the throttle at about the apex point. I'm not quite sure why it did so, but the rear end broke loose for a split second which instantly set the bike straight up out of the lean in the middle of the turn. This road is already kind of narrowa nd being a left hand turn I was quickly approaching the edge of the pavement. The same thing that makes this road beautiful was about to make for a spectacular crash! The road has areas of brush lining it with some small trees and occasional rock walls. This particular areas had that and it wasn't looking good... Up until a couple years ago I raced moto-x for 17 years. If it weren't for that experience I don't think I'd be typing this now!
As the edge of the road came closer the M900 suddenly became a motard and I took it about 2ft off the road through the tall brush and over a large round rock which got me airborne and back out onto the road. If that wasn't close enough, there was some serious headshake upon pavement re-entry which put my steering damper to use for the first real time. I thought I had made it out completely fine, but noticed the bike just wasn't right in the front end. So I waited for my firend to arrive and stopped under some lights. Sure enough I had bent the front rim pretty badly, but the tire was still inflated. What was weird was that I didn't scare me the least bit since it felt no different than any of the other close calls I had when racing moto-x. Thinking back though I realized I was quite lucky! I think that shows that staying loose can pull you thorugh some bad situations!

Anyone have a black front wheel for a 99' Monster? ::)

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Sorry about your wheel man, but glad to hear you made it out alright. I'm sure your brothers at the DML will get your bike back to tip-top real soon.

Justin

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A.Duc.H.Duc. said:
Sorry about your wheel man, but glad to hear you made it out alright. I'm sure your brothers at the DML will get your bike back to tip-top real soon.

Justin
I hope so! I had a crash last year on October 5th... This happened only 2 days later this year :eek:

Last years crash took me all winter to gather the necassary parts to put the bike back together, and now I'm thinking it might be time for a set of aftermarket wheels. Anyone know of some good suppliers?

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Sorry about the rim, and glad you made it out alive!

Not that an off is ever cool, but if you're going to have one, that sounds like the best case scenario! Potential injury and bike damage notwithstanding, that actually sounded kind of fun... one of those moments that really tests your mettle.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yes, and great riding there. Think about it, you're experienced, but in many cases the first survival reaction would be to chop the throttle when the rear slips. That will almost always end in a very bad hi-side. But, you didn't do that. Instead, you maintained a steady throttle and ran wide while lifting the bike up a bit. Sure, it ran you off the road slightly but it could have been really bad if you were inexperienced. 85% of riders would have immediately chopped the throttle and would have been thrown from the bike and into that rock wall.

Great job with your techniques [thumbsup]

Tom

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
WOW!! I am truly impressed. Glad you got through. Time to celebrate and buy those light weight wheels you've been drooling over ;)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Nice save, well done.

Glad you're OK, too bad about the wheel though.

Moto-X experience can really come in handy!

rich

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:

I went to the site where I ran off the road to see it in full daylight and check if there was something in the road the cause the rear to slip. I saw nothing and can only think that I got on the throttle as I was going over the painted lines on the road on my way to the apex. I've never had the rear get loose under power unless out on the track after many laps on street tires.

Regardless, the area where I ran off was slightly more hairy looking in the daylight. There was actually angled rise right off the edge of the road that led up about 2ft above the surface of the road where the rock wall was. The rock I hit was one that had fallen from the old wall and the rise of the dirt is why it felt as though I got airborne. I looks as though I hit the roack and it bounced the bike in the air enough to not even hit the dirt again. Instead I went right back out onto the street. If I didn't come back onto the road I'm sure I would have laid it down once I touched back down on the downward sloping grass/brush.

I guess luck was more on my side that night that night than anything else, but I'll still call it skill. ::)

I also checked the bike out a little better last night to see if the front end was tweaked other than the wheel. THe wheel is indeed bent very nicely at the bead on one side, and has a flat spot in another spot on the other side rim. I'm guessing the flat spot was caused by the landing, and I noticed that the forks were definetely bottomed out hard. I heard a thunk when it happened, but thought it was just the wheel being bent. I have o rings on the fork sliders to measure dive and general suspension travel and they were slammed to the bottom of the slider. I'm guessing I may need to do some fork reuilding and checking they're still straight.

Question is, should I do all that and get new lightweight wheels, or just get it back on the road quickly with a stock replacemtn wheel and plan to get the Hypermotard in the spring?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts