Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bottom gasket of the vertical cylinder is leaking oil :-/ I was wondering if any of you have ever replaced this. How much time and skill is involved. I would really like to do it myself because I don't have the funds to pay the dealer. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
common problem on '01 and '02 bikes. how far out of warranty is your bike? speak to your dealer and see what they can do for you.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warranty ended in April. Bike has 3600 miles on it. What sort of thing do you think my dealer could do for me. I realize all dealers are different. Mine is pretty good. I guess I'm asking for stories of how a dealer has "hooked it up" for post warranty repairs.

-Patrick

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I've started looking into the cost of doing this on my S4.
Looks like about $50 for gaskets, MOST of which is the head gasket.

AFAIK, air cooled Monsters don't have a head gasket, so it should be pretty cheap for you.

Don't know what the proper gasket part# is....

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks speeddog, I guess I am really concerned about the time, and skill, and instructions needed to do this project. I talked to the parts guy at the dealer and he said 5-6 hrs which i believe and that the motor will have to come out. YIKES!!! I'm just wondering if the motor will have to come out, or if there is a way to do it with the motor still in. I don't know if it is the head and cylinder leaking but I am pretty sure its the bottom gasket. I am going to go clean it up and spray on some leak finder.

Whooohoooo 50th post!! no more newbie!

·
Registered
6,266 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ducman where can I get this tool. Did you have to do this too? How long did it take you? Thank you for your posts

-Patrick

F

·
0 Posts
Just had mine done by a dealer. I was told that gasket needs to sit over night w/o oil or running to setup right. Don't why but thought I would throw it out there.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Thanks ducman where can I get this tool. Did you have to do this too? How long did it take you? Thank you for your posts

-Patrick
I believe Chris @ Ca-Cycleworks sells them. Yes I had to do mine at about 300 miles. Mine has no warranty as its a Salvaged bike and its raced. It took me about 3 hours but I have all the tools and I fix cars for a living so this kind up thing is no biggie for me.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Haynes shows a copy of the Type B service tool for torquing the heads made from a "slim" 15mm box end wrench with a socket of the same drive size as your torque wrench welded on. The distance from the center of the box end's ring to the center of the socket should be 83 mm. weld the socket on so that the torque wrench can be attached exactly 90 degrees to the "tool".

Scout pawn shops for 50 cent sockets and maybe even the 15 mm box end. If you don't weld - make friends with a weldor (if you don't believe there's a difference in weldors and welders, go read a while on sci.engr.joining.welding) or take it to a local shop that someone can recommend as good quick and cheap. Don't cut the wrench until after its welded or let the weldor do it so he or she can set up the way they want.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright thanks guys. This job sounds (as marty mcFly, or Micheal J Fox would say) Heavy! I'll start scouting and let you guys know what happens.

-Patrick

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I am taking mine in tomorrow for that fix. If you need any part # info or what not, let me know. I wont be able to post until Sunday night though. I am going to TX for the weekend. yeehaaa

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool thanks Tony J.

Good news!!!! Actually I took the bike by the dealer and they had run a warranty repair request for me, even though my warranty ran out in April. And it came through!!!! My dealer saved me 500 bucks or about 7+ hours!!! So its now waiting in line to get fixed. Thanks for all of your help. Can't wait to get it back on the road.

-patrick

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
:DGood for you! I was about to respond to your original post and tell you about my top end rebuild that I just completed. Of course this included replacing all the gaskets and o-rings in the top end, including the "base gasket". It wasn't a hard job, but you do need some mechanical aptitude and a couple special tools (head nut tool mentioned being the primary one, and of course a good torque wrench). The verticle cylinder is the hardest since you have to remove the battery, battery/air box, electricals, carbs, tank, belst, etc, etc). Not hard, just time consuming. Since your dealer took care of you I won't bore you with the rest of the details, but it wasn't a particularly hard job. Glad you'll be back up and running soon.

S

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't mind hearing the details!

I have a 944 project scheduled for this winter and I will be doing the wrenching myself. I am pretty competent with a wrench but haven't cracked a Duc engine before. Any boring details will be greatly appreciated. I have the Haynes manual and the Duc OEM service manual is on its way, but its the practical advice that I want to get under my belt before I get started.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts