Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are potential problems that may occur if you would run a vented clutch cover. (Dry clutch of course). If dirt/water did get in would that cause a major failure? I would like it open because I want as many strange sounds as possible coming from my bike :)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Your clutch springs will rust which is unsightly.

Replacement stainless steel springs and bolts are available to address this shortcoming.

Strati (www.ducatipipemod.com) will powercoat your stock springs and caps which is another way to fix that.

You may also find that the stock pressure plate is unsightly (as it was never designed for show). Here too there are aftermarket and powdercoating options.

There is no functional downside. Your clutch will probably run better as the spent powder will not collect under the cover. This assumes you have some sort of cover sufficient to keep your toes out of the action.

There's also much greater chance for clutch damage if the bike is dropped on the right side unless your open cover has reasonable structural integrity (most carbon fiber covers do not qualify).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on a street bike probably no issues as long as you don't let your bike sit in the rain on the side stand for weeks at a time, regularly go mud bogging, or ford streams, creeks, and rivers on a routine basis.

while riding the engine temp will keep most moisture to a minimum if you're caught up in the rain.

be selective of your clutch cover though... you'll want something substantial to protect it from the impact of the bike slamming down on it and sliding otherwise a minor ding could turn into major clutch repair.

if it's flimsy then your bike is ****ed in a lay down on the right side. this is probably even more important on a bike that doesn't have lower fairing etc to protect things.

if you just want tunes... you can take off your stock cover... remove the rubber gasket between the cover and side case... remove the brass spacers from the gasket... use a silicon rtv to adhere the spacers to the stock cover at the bolt holes... and reattach the stock cover. this will give you approxiamately an eigth inch of space between the cover and the case to let the tunes out while offering substantial protection.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the fast input! I am gonna head home today and take that gasket out till I can get a good deal on a strong alum. vented one. I like the look of CF but don't feel like destroying my clutch if it falls.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you want the open clutch sound, remove the rubber gasket between the stock clutch cover & body, keeping the spacers in place when your replace the stock clutch cover. This way you get the open clutch sound for "free" and get some benefits of cooling and dust out; all with keeping the strength of the ducati stock clutch cover.

-Dave

2001 M900ie. chromo

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cyclecat has a great cover . it comes full open or half open . very nice fit and looks great , price around 195.00 $ . i have the half open in black on my bike and love the look and sound

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the gasget and it sounds great right after Mark said somthing. Call me strange but I love the fact the people can here the clutch over the exhaust. (stock) This is a "must do" free mod right up there with taking off the reflectors. Maybe I can sneek on a Rizoma on there without the wife seeing.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Or, if you're a cheapa$$ like me, take a big hole saw and vent your stock clutch cover. Free!!
Dion

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Got any pics? How did it turn out?

I removed the gasket from my clutch cover and soon after decided that I didn't like the sound. Now, after seeing a picture of a anodized plate with colored springs and an open cover, I think wanna go that route. I was thinking that maybe the noise would be a less with a true open cover rather than the stock cover with a space. My thought is that the stock cover allows for more resonance than an open one. Anyone have any opinions on this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts