Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the advantages of a vented clutch cover, appart from the looks and the sound? Any disadvantages, like getting something stuck in there? Does it make the cleaning process harder?

·
Registered
600 Posts
The main purpose of a vented cover is to cool the engine. It's almost impossible to get anything stuck in there while the pressure plate is spinning. Extra cleaning may be due but it won't be hard.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The disadvantage is that if the bike goes down on the right side, it might not protect the clutch, so you could end up with a much more expensive repair bill.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I'm running the STM titanium toe gaurd on my open STM clutch (you can check out a picture of it in the misc gallery..."randy's_clutch_1").

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
What's the advantages of a vented clutch cover, appart from the looks and the sound? Any disadvantages, like getting something stuck in there? Does it make the cleaning process harder?
You can dare small children to stick their finger in while the engine's running...

JK! ;D

·
Registered
211 Posts
My buddy's answer to the "Dude what's wrong with your bike?" clutch rattle... Louder pipes. That is a good solution.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
If you drive in the rain and water gets inside wouldn't that be bad?

My dealer told me that the clutch springs can rust

·
Registered
600 Posts
Rain will not cripple the engine while it's running. The springs may rust but so will other parts. The humidity is what gets me worried in Japan, not the rain.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Buy stainless replacement springs or get your stock springs powder coated. Either solution takes care of that (purely cosmetic) issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts