Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Really like the look of the finished product. Topped them off with some semi-flat rattle can paint. Getting more of that minimalist thing going.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
that's nice! Did you just dremel the #$! out of the stock covers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just cut the stock covers with a little planning and drawing, to make sure they lined up and came out right. Practiced on the spocket cover a few months ago, which came out nice so now I have a matching set.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
Nice job, I really like to see people create things themselves instead of just buy'n'bolt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
They do look good. But I am worried about road junk getting in and fouling the belts and rollers. Wont look so nice when it is grimey. Have you thought about sticking some thin perspex on the inside to keep it clean?

P.S. I just sprayed mine gloss black and they look better than that std. matt grey rubbish. But not as good as your vented covers. Nice work.
 
G

·
Sweet.
They look great!
You just gave me a few ideas.
Good point about the debris getting in there and messing things up. I wonder how much stuff would really get in there...
 
G

·
those look great...

as far as foreign matter getting in to the belts/pulleys goes, you could always epoxy a screen mesh on the inside and still have that side of the motor breathe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll try to snap a picture of the sprocket cover ASAP. As for junk getting inside the belt covers, I ran with out them for about 2 months and didn't seem to have ant effect at all. Although I didn't do much bad weather riding, maybe one or two rain rides.
I also thought about using some epoxy to hold in some kind of mesh(still thinking about it), but I'm alittle more worried the mesh coming unglued inside, than something actually getting inside. Also there is not alot of clearance inside those stock covers if something just slightly comes unglued could be a big problem.
As for building more, I may do it, if I can get a hold of some stock covers cheap and stock sprocket covers cheap. I would rather screw up a set I own than someone elses. I wouldn't want someone to have to wait forever, so i would have a back up.
As for doing it yourself, really not that difficult. Like Strati suggested in a earlier post a fine jig saw blade works good and then a drimel to tidy things up, then of course sanding to smoothe it all out. I used a plastic cutting bit, still tended to melt the plastic a bit but did a pretty good job. Oh, and some patience, take your time.
Thanks for all the compliments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually I copied this idea from a picture of one of Alex O's Ducatis. Just changed the slots and slanted them. Thanks Alex, I should have given you credit sooner.
BUZ.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top