Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the vent pods on my carbed m600 do anything besides look cheap? They didn't look important so I chucked 'em along with a bunch of other ugly tidbits and useless doohickies, like fenders and belt covers. Runs fine. I'm kind of a minimalist.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the ones. I figured that anything that was such a design afterthought couldn't be too important. I ditched the lines altogether. So a few drops of gas get on your valve covers, no biggie.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
0jess said:
That's the ones. I figured that anything that was such a design afterthought couldn't be too important. I ditched the lines altogether. So a few drops of gas get on your valve covers, no biggie.
Those hoses go to the diaphragm housings. They allow vacuum to lift the slides. If your bike starts running like crap on windy days you'll know why the hoses were in still air inside the ugly plastic pods.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Yup, relocate those hoses, f e behind battery box.
They are important for carbs functioning right.
They need still air, make`m longer.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Those hoses go to the diaphragm housings. They allow vacuum to lift the slides. If your bike starts running like crap on windy days you'll know why the hoses were in still air inside the ugly plastic pods
Correct. I had issues with the engine pull, it used to hesitate after each upshift. I relocated those hoses and problem solved. The hoses are not long enought to be located by the battery though, at least mine aren't. I zip-tied them to the inner side of the frame bars. Not totally covered but better than before...

·
Registered
480 Posts
If the hoses are needed for the Mikunis, but you want to be a minimalist, junk the Mikunis and get a pair of Keihin FCRs. Only one vent hose, and if you want to leave it off, no biggie, 'cause there aren't any stoopid diaphragms on the carbs. Twist the throttle and the slides open. Simple. Plus they work with aftermarket exhaust and intakes -- no nightmares with rejetting and endless fiddling around to make the Mikunis work adequately. Which they never quite do, in my experience.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
If the hoses are needed for the Mikunis, but you want to be a minimalist, junk the Mikunis and get a pair of Keihin FCRs
Anyone knows which FCR for a 2000 M600 and from where it can be ordered?
(I can't believe I am thinking replacing the carbs now ::) I could have bought an S4 if I saved the money I spent for this bike [laugh] )

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't think this place will ever stop being recommended:

www.ca-cycleworks.com

I'm sure you'll be able to find better prices, but you can't go wrong with chris. He seems like a guy who backs what he sells. Give him a call and he'll talk you through what all is involved.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Wow I didn't know these carbs were that expensive! I am not throwing another $k in the bike no matter what imp they deliver [laugh]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good input. I looped some clear tubing from the carbs under the battery tray and wedged the ends beside the battery. This wasn't difficult as I had previously cut the airbox off and went with cone filters. [cheeky] Maybe a carb upgrade one of these days.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Another option is to paint the pods. I, too, hated the cheap look of the gray plastic, but I decided to try painting first before considering removal. Believe it or not, engineers put them on there for a reason. Here's a couple pics:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Looks good, nice job.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Aguacate said:
I don't think this place will ever stop being recommended:

www.ca-cycleworks.com

I'm sure you'll be able to find better prices, but you can't go wrong with chris. He seems like a guy who backs what he sells. Give him a call and he'll talk you through what all is involved.
+1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.