Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a carbureted '01 750 Monster. Two weeks ago I had it in the shop where they performed the 6000 mile service. This past weekend, I rode it from Houston to Austin searching out every back road I could find. Anyways, it took me about 5 hours to get there.

When I arrived, I rode around town in rather heavy traffic for about 30 minutes looking for the Ducati dealership. When I couldn't find it, I decided to head on over to my friend's place. All of a sudden it started to run like crap. It was sputtering like it was running out of gas. I looked down and saw that I had only gone 100 miles since the last fillup. I stopped at a gas station and filled it up with 2 gallons just to satisfy my curiosity.

I went on my way and it continued to sputter along. It died on me as I turned onto Redbud, and I crossed my fingers that I could make it to the top of the hill without dying again. I kept rapping the throttle and eventually it began to run right. The rest of the weekend I spent ripping around the hill country without any problems. What do you guys think. Was this just a vapor-lock condition due to the extensive run. It was probably 80 degrees by the afternoon and this was the first time I've ridden it that hard for so long.

Thanks,
Gerald

·
Registered
799 Posts
TEXASDUC said:
I've got a carbureted '01 750 Monster. Two weeks ago I had it in the shop where they performed the 6000 mile service. This past weekend, I rode it from Houston to Austin searching out every back road I could find. Anyways, it took me about 5 hours to get there.

When I arrived, I rode around town in rather heavy traffic for about 30 minutes looking for the Ducati dealership. When I couldn't find it, I decided to head on over to my friend's place. All of a sudden it started to run like crap. It was sputtering like it was running out of gas. I looked down and saw that I had only gone 100 miles since the last fillup. I stopped at a gas station and filled it up with 2 gallons just to satisfy my curiosity.

I went on my way and it continued to sputter along. It died on me as I turned onto Redbud, and I crossed my fingers that I could make it to the top of the hill without dying again. I kept rapping the throttle and eventually it began to run right. The rest of the weekend I spent ripping around the hill country without any problems. What do you guys think. Was this just a vapor-lock condition due to the extensive run. It was probably 80 degrees by the afternoon and this was the first time I've ridden it that hard for so long.

Thanks,
Gerald
I SERIOUSLY doubt it was vapor lock. Doesn't sound right to me w/o it being 100+ degress and/or at high elevations. How long has it been since you changed the plugs? Did you bump the choke?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Not sure about the vapor lock either but if it was I seem to remember a post that said the guy figured out if he opened the tank and wiggled the bike back and forth it would fire right back up.

Personally I've only had VL twice and it was hot as balls out. I eventually bought some asbestos spark plug boot covers and put them over the fuel line going to the pump. No problem the rest of the summer.

·
Banned
4 Posts
If it is not a vapor lock . It could be the issue with the pressure in the fuel pump either there is a pinch in the hose or the seal problem . I had the same problem with my other bike ( r1100r) it turned out there was a liitle tiny crack in the hose inside the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts