Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Corsair and Stealth (perforated Corsair) jackets are made overseas. I called Vanson about this and was first assured that all of their products were made in the USA, then after some more questions was transferred to a guy who went into a long explanation on how the quality is the same and so on and that in fact these particular jackets were made overseas. It might have changed but I see no mention of this on their website. (insert shady emoticon)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Honestly, I don't understand the acrimony in that other thread except Ash's. But I am afraid this thread could easily head the same direction. We are basically talking about the perceived honesty or integrity of a (this) company. Again :) But I see people wondering why they have on why they might plunk down a really good pile of cash on some gear based on the company's reputation, which I think is good.
Bottom line is something like 90% of all leathers are made in the same factory in Pakistan. It is really the design and specifications that set them apart. I don't -and I don't think other people should- worry so much about where something is stitched or cut or assembled as they should the things people know will make something safe.
So, this is not so much an indictment of the equipment itself as it is the company's reputation, which I don't think should be a top priority when picking out gear. This business about all gear being made in the USA shady? Yes. But shadiness has little effect on road rash.
For what it's worth, I have tried on Vanson stuff and I don't see what the fuss is all about.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Please don't turn this into another Vanson-bash thread. We already got one.

If this thread can't maintain a unique identity, it will be merged into the previosly cited thread :police:

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to vansonleathers.com, click men's collection. Quote "Vanson Leathers is America's largest manufacturer of men's leather motorcycle jackets, Proudly Made in the USA." Click on the Corsair or the Stealth. No mention of being made overseas. I agree that place of manufacture is second to quality and function/safety wich brings up another issue. Quote " The Firenze leather has the feel of a broken in garment, " what they leave out is this is accomplished by using thinner leather, hardly what I expected from a fully armored jacket. I only want to provide this info so that any DMLer's that are considering these jackets know the full story and can make an informed decision. Lastly, even though Vanson initially "forgot ::)" that these jackets were not made in the USA I still think the Mark 2 is a great jacket and will look for a used one over the winter.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
In all honesty, I'm skeptical about any company that says "Made in the USA".. what is made the USA?? ::)
If I like something, the way it's made, the looks, or the way it feels, I don't care where it's made. I do agree that when companies claim "Made in the USA" they should be honest. I think alot of companies lose customer base just from not being honest about their products than their product quality themselves. just my .02
MM

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I agree that "made in the USA" doesn't necessarily say anything about quality; one way or the other.

I believe it's used often (and probably in Vanson's case) to justify the relatively high price. Many people (me included) would be inclined to spend the extra money for the same quality (as established independently of the price) in order to keep Americans employed in good working conditions rather than (possibly) supporting a sweat shop offshore. But if you're serious about social consumerism, you need to look a lot deeper than the "made in" label.

In any case, I agree that it's shady to claim to be employing American tradespeople and then ship the money overseas. Giving Vanson the benefit of the doubt, they've apparently begun offshoring fairly recently and are hopefully working out how to gracefully back away from their "All American" PR stance.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I have a Vanson fully perfed jacket for summer. I picked it up at their showroom for under $300. I asked about the label inside thats aid "World Jacket". The sales woman was honest with me and stated that it was made over seas with strict quality control. Two riding seasons and a low side later it still is looking good.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Vanson (I believe) can't keep operating if it continues to make low margin gear here in the US. It just doesn't make sense. Having said that though, it's my understanding that their suits and higher end stuff are still made here. I'll check my Volante suit and see what it says.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.