Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno if this is the right place to post, but I've been lookin for a good tutorial for doin the valve set on a 2 valve 900. I did a search of this place but didn't find much.. anyone know of a good web page?

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks niuginimonster, thats a good site. I've been useing that tutorial, but I thought there might be others out there. Its the first time I've done it and want to make sure I've got it in me head right! :)
I'll bet ya dont have ya bike over there in Moresby? I was there 10yrs ago for a quick visit to OK Tedi and I dunno if I'd have big enough balls to ride something like a monsta there! :)

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Also check out www.ducatitech.com for a good valve adjustment how-to. Chris includes a good worksheet and example of how to do the math to calculate replacement shim size if you need to change any.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I printed those out and included them in the maintenance section of my Duc shop manual. Although I haven't done a valve check yet, I will be shortly. I only have 1500 miles on the bike and it isn't called for yet.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I recently bought LT Synder's "Ducati Desmodue Preventative Maintenance, Checks and Services Guide".

It does the best job I've seen so far on covering the valve checks, and it has lots of other good info as well. I wouldn't call it a replacement for the Haynes guide, but it does a much better job of describing the most common tasks that one would do at home.
http://www.desmotimes.com/

That book, the ProItalia video, Chris' shim math, and a read of the Ducatisuite stuff could probably get you through it, but it makes a lot more since if you have somebody who's done it before help you the first time through.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
The trickiest part that I found was knowing the correct "feel" with the feeler gauge. You'll find that a few fit in there, but which one is the correct measurement is a matter of experience and is difficult explain and learn from reading.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Monsta,
Balls i got, the monster is here with me. Contrary to popular belief Port Moresby in my reasoning is probably safer than riding in Perth.

Sure you've got PMV's that turn right when they are indicating left, other drivers that cant find a gear that gives then more than 40kph on the freeway, raskols with "Uhmm" weapons to hold you up at the first chance, Potholes that you could loose a 4X4 in, People all over the place with the road sense of Uhmm Village dogs, people that throw things at you because you've got something different, no Ducati Shop, not even a Bike shop!!

But eh, in developed countries you gota contend with like 100+ cars in a 50mtr radius.

we get out on the freeway every Sunday & have a ball.
the group is getting bigger all the time, along with the Monster there's a 2003 V-Rod, 2003 Untraglide Electra, & last week a brand new Suzuki SV-1000 arrived. There are plenty more around the traps.

So if you end up with another visit to PNG, give me a yell before you come & we can hook you up with a spare bike & we can go for a ride PNG Style!!

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everyone, there was stuff there that even google didn't find :)
Hopefully the job'll get done this w/end!

niuginimonster,
cant see meself gettin back there again, but I'm glad to have been able to sample that part of the world. When I was there they didn't advise people to go out at night and apparently it wasn't unusual to be highjack at trafic lights.
Do ya have the razor wire and doberman? :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Monsta,
Unfortunately yes, but it grows on you after a while.

Lotsa really good stuff outweighs the bad though.

I guess you kinda gota like it or you don't!

6 bikes on the ride today, had a great time.

Hope the valve adjustment comes along well, gotta do mine Very Soon!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I'd also recommend the video.

Additionally you can buy a shim kit for a 2V for a little over $200. Took me 6 hrs the 1st time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts