Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so we go to put the new shim on and the diameter is a bit too small...has anyone else experiences this?

how did you get around it? i'm about ready to grab a drill bit and widen it a bit.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Re: valve job trouble

KnightofNi II said:
so we go to put the new shim on and the diameter is a bit too small...has anyone else experiences this?

how did you get around it? i'm about ready to grab a drill bit and widen it a bit.
Did they give you a 4V shim?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

so apparently that last post didn't quite make it when i hit post2 hrs ago.... :-[

it was a closer shim. we got it to fit, the hole was a wee bit smaller than the old one. it's on now.

next problem...the timing marks on the belts aren't matching up when the veret piston is at TDC. we're fairly certain that it is on the compression stroke too.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

KnightofNi II said:
so apparently that last post didn't quite make it when i hit post2 hrs ago.... :-[

it was a closer shim. we got it to fit, the hole was a wee bit smaller than the old one. it's on now.

next problem...the timing marks on the belts aren't matching up when the veret piston is at TDC. we're fairly certain that it is on the compression stroke too.
How are you doing it? There is a mark on the drive pulley and one on the case. line it up. The marks on the 2 cam pulleys should line up with the marks on the belt housings.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

we lined everything up using the sight glass aand the mark onthe flywheel/stator thingie (technical term)

when we have that matched, the marks on the belts aren't lining up is the problem

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

Don't use that mark. Go to the other side. There is a mark on the case and a mark on the bottom pulley. When those are lined up the marks on the cam pulleys should also,

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

we are atr TDC on the vert cyl on compression(we ran it through a whole cycle and watched the valves) this lines up with the arrow and tick mark on the flywheel

at this time the marks on the belt covers do not match up at all. they are about 120 deg away from lining up

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

KnightofNi II said:
we are atr TDC on the vert cyl on compression(we ran it through a whole cycle and watched the valves) this lines up with the arrow and tick mark on the flywheel

at this time the marks on the belt covers do not match up at all. they are about 120 deg away from lining up
Did you read my last post?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

hiero said:
the marks all line up for horizontal cyl TDC only
Why wouldn't he listen? ;D

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

KnightofNi II said:
because nobody else actually said that.

after mulling it over. are both valves supoosed to be done with only the horizontal cyl at TDC?
Most people take the belts off before adjusting the valves. so other than having the piston near the top so the valve can't fall into the cyl it doesn't matter.

The belts are timed off tdc of the horizontal cyl. If you use the marks on the belt side it is easier.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

ducpainter said:
Most people take the belts off before adjusting the valves. so other than having the piston near the top so the valve can't fall into the cyl it doesn't matter.

The belts are timed off tdc of the horizontal cyl. If you use the marks on the belt side it is easier.
ok...i think we got it right depite not having the info correct.
i did take off the belts to do the actual adjustment. i put them on to rotate the engine since we didn't want to screw up the timing by turning one cylinder and having it at the wrong part of the cycle.

we used the marks on the belt side along with the mark on the flywheel to line up the horiz cyl. then we just used out skill and the other mark on the flywheel to get the vert cyl at the top.

ohh and most of the openers were just barely out of spec.
the closers were generally well off though. i still say that's not too bad for having 38,000+ miles on the bike.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

KnightofNi II said:
ok...i think we got it right depite not having the info correct.
i did take off the belts to do the actual adjustment. i put them on to rotate the engine since we didn't want to screw up the timing by turning one cylinder and having it at the wrong part of the cycle.

we used the marks on the belt side along with the mark on the flywheel to line up the horiz cyl. then we just used out skill and the other mark on the flywheel to get the vert cyl at the top.

ohh and most of the openers were just barely out of spec.
the closers were generally well off though. i still say that's not too bad for having 38,000+ miles on the bike.
You actually over thought it. The heads don't care. If the marks on the belt side line up when you're done that's all that matters.

The measurements you got show some wear, but like you say not bad for 38K. That adjustment should last a long time.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

ducpainter said:
You actually over thought it. The heads don't care. If the marks on the belt side line up when you're done that's all that matters.

The measurements you got show some wear, but like you say not bad for 38K. That adjustment should last a long time.
me overthink something? NOOOOOOO!!!! :eek:

hehehehe

it should last at least another 38K ;D
i'm thinking that for my next one i might only wait 20 k or so. and get the MPB(?) valve retainers. maybe those will help keep the valves in place better and not have them get so out of spec.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts