Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some research and it appears that several people have gotten valve guides from an outside source pressed into their heads. To my understanding, Ducati will warranty this issue with the same valve guides, and the new valve guide design doesnt seem to be working to well. Where could i find these after market valve guides? I would rather have them install a better aftermarket one than have to deal with this issue again.

I found these, http://www.nicholsmfg.com/valveguides.html does anyone have any experience with these?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
No experience with them.

Keep in mind that the DS motor has 7mm valve stems, while the other air-cooled Monster motors have 8mm valve stems.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I had mine done under warranty but they were not the same as stock & Ducati only paid.... a local machine shop did the guides.

I had the MBP colletts installed too & the tech really liked them.... he said that they are much easier than the stock keepers as they snap into place when you rotate the rocker arm.

Only time will tell how the guides & the retainers work out.

·
Registered
555 Posts
easy calculation really.
If ducati is picking up the tab let them put in the newest guides (they have been updated in 2006) on their dime.
if Ducati is not going to pay have some of the aftermarket guides installed by a reputable shop. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the funny thing is, i heard they were updated in middle of 06, at the same time, my bike was a mid 06 bike with the newer 32mm sprocket nut. so im assuming this engine has the new valve guides,(but ofcourse the motor could of been built way before then as an m1000 engine) so unless someone can tell me the new ducati design valve guides wont wear on me (my warranty is up in January 08, so the only thing i can do is check the valve guides after warranty when i put another 6,000 miles on the bike this summer (which is going to be pretty easy with my new forks heh)

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you are the original owner you have a very good chance of getting the guides changed under a good will warranty . Have the horizontal exhaust valve checked soon, it s the easiest to check. The exhausts are the more prone to be bad. see if they are bad and get to your dealer to try for a good will. the longer you wait and the more miles you put on the less likely you will be for good will.

good luck

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My warranty is still in effect, the 06 was prucahsed as a 07 eft over stock, so it began is warranty as of jan 07. So i have until jan 09 to use it. The exahust valve guide is actually the worst one, it has over 1/2 inch of travel to each side. Im just wondering if me purchasing aftermarket valve guides would be better than the redesigned ones that ducati used. I only have 6300 miles on mine, and i skipped the valve adjustment because of the vavle guide issue. the exahust clearences are pretty off.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Kui said:
----------snip--------------
it has over 1/2 inch of travel to each side.
----------snip--------------
???

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speeddog said:
Yea, that **** was wiggling a lot. i heard 1/10th of a inch and it should be replaced.
I saw it get wiggled, maybe it was 1/2 inch total travel, but either way it wasnt a click click wiggle, it was some pretty bad movement. I was pretty pissed off until he said warranty. Then i got excited cause i get to spend my money on suspension

·
Registered
894 Posts
I used Kimball White guides, I don't think I spelled it right though.

Got it thru the Ducshop cheaper than OEM

I doubt they would by them, but the may cover the labor.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thank you, I'm working on sleep dep here ;D

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Kui,

Mine were just replaced by BH Ducati, under warranty, using a machine shop somewhere in N. California. I'd check with them on who manufactured the guides. My understanding is that they are far better than stock, different material, etc. I have an 08 s2r 1K, btw, so I don't think the stock guides are up to snuff yet...

·
Registered
555 Posts
The new guides have been much better than the old ones .
I would let ducati pay for them at this time and they will be adjusting those valves after they cut the seats.
If the newest ones wear out later on (I would have them checked again before warranty is up) maybe at that time go with the kibblewhites.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts