Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it necassary to check the valve clearances in between the scheduled 6 and 12 thousand mile valve adjustments?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Haynes (which I think used Ducati's published guidelines) recommends checking them every 3,000 miles for the older models up through 93.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
between 6000 and 12000? ehhh, probably not...

here's the schedule i like to see with a street bike:
- before 1000 miles, get a real good adjustment to ideal specs.
- 6000 check/adjust
- 12000 check/adjust

once you've got 12k miles... if the 6 and 12k checks required little adjustment, then i wouldn't even stress hitting them every 6k, so long as you don't go past 8.

BUT... if you're hard on your bike, do this:
1000, 4000, 7000, 10,000 (change belts, too)... then if 10k adjust is minor, go to 6k mile intervals.

:) chris

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do need need to replace the valve cover gaskets every time i get in to check the clearances, correct?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Supposedly.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I haven't reeplaced a VCG the entire time I've owned my bike (55k) and never had a leak. They're metal and designed to be reused. Even the first time I had my valves done, the mechanic told me that I should'nt need to replace them, unless they're damaged (like me).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok something doesnt seem right. my unloaded gap had no clearance and my loaded gap(pushing down on the the closing rocker with screwdriver) had .011mm. so my unloaded gap is my openers right? and my loaded gap subtracted from my unloaded gap is my closers right? how can i subtract .011 from .000?????????

i dont think im suppose to be dealing with negatives. then again its probably just my inexperience. can one of you DUCATI TECH WIZARDS :p please help? it would be much appreciated.

joey

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
hi Joey,

sorry to hear it. :(

this was the same on zina's new 2000 m900ie as well as our new 2001 mh900e. BOTH bikes had a valve that was bascially held open - and they came that way from Ducati SpA! THIS is why i suggest an initial ideal valve adjustment at 1000 miles. not a "check" but an actual adjustment to old world "happy" specs.

what i found on both of these bikes is that the shims seem to have been swapped between the inlet and exhaust valves on the front/horizontal head. when swapped back, they produced "factory tolerances" which i still don't like.

so, it is possible to have 0 opening clearance and much closing clearance. the only way to adjust these valves is to repeatedly adjust them until the readings ar erelatively small. :(

i suggest having an experienced mechanic help you with this...

good luck,
chris

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was afraid of that. i had my valves adjusted at 6000 miles(im at 10,000 now). is this normal at just 4000 miles. by the way im at the intake side of my rear cylinder

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
if you always had "factory trained" mechanics at "ducati dealers" adjusting your valves to "factory specs" there is absolutely nothing wrong with your bike. ::) :-[

in reality... i think you and i both know the truth.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this is the very first time ive seen my valves. i had the dealer do the valve adjustment at 6000 miles. i was just checking my clearances for the heck of it, and like i wrote up top, they dont seem correct. i have had some problems with my bike after getting some work done at the dealer in the past. not to mention the price, i plan to do as much of my own work as possible.

i am a novice mechanic and im eager to learn all i can about my bike. i believe ive read or downloaded all valuable material i can off the internet(short of a service manual). id much rather be working on my bike right now then on these boards(not that i dont like you guys), but you know what i mean. id for sure rather be riding than anything else.

someone please help joey

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
hi JOey,

you're going to need to install thinner opening shim and thicker closing shim. measure clearances again. repeat if necessary.

i usually remove the belts to adjust the valves, as it is easier to check for non-interference on closing shim with no belt. you turn cam by hand.

i also put each cylinder at TDC when adjust its valves. i talk about this some on my website, too...

chris

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes ive read some on your web site. thanks for all the info. i have a question for you, can you purchase a shim kit for less than $1000? or am i just gonna have to get all needed shims from my dealer as i need them?

how much damage will occur riding with valves out of adjustment? i came up with .004" on an intake closer.

appreciate the info joey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts