Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am checking my valve clearance. I started with the engine at TDC and opened the top horizontal valve cover. I inserted a .004 (inch) in with force. Went down to a .015, with less force, but I still had to encourage it.

I have 10,000 on the bike.

do I need to think about shimming down? or is this okay.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
the acceptable measurement range depends on what bike/motor you have(2v vs. 4v), and on the amount of force used to slide the feeler used to measur...it should feel as if you are pushing it between the pages of a phone book(i think they still publish those in hardcopy). it also depends on what clearance specs you choose to adopt...there are 2 different lists that i have always seen. to my understanding, one list is ducati 'blessed' specs and the other is a list of ranges adapted from seasoned mechanics based on what they feel to be optimal settings.. determined from their experience over the years. oh yea....make double sure you are measuring at TDC of the combustion stroke. there is an excellent video on valve check/adjustment available in the anchored posts above.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
What engine are you talking about and are you measuring the opener or closer shim.
If you have a 4v tessy engine you want .002" on the closer and .005" on the opener.
That's what I set mine to. Take the time to make sure they are dead on spec.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What engine are you talking about and are you measuring the opener or closer shim.
If you have a 4v tessy engine you want .002" on the closer and .005" on the opener.
That's what I set mine to. Take the time to make sure they are dead on spec.
thanks for the replies. it is a 620 2v. the clearance is the opening measurement. I think I was just over thinking the issues. the .005 fit, just a little tighter than I wanted it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts