Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked my valves (2nd time I've done this on my own) and they NEED NO ADJUSTMENT????!?!? WTF? I have to admit I'm pleased but somewhat vexed. :eek: Has anyone has such an experience before?

Mark ??? ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
after the first 12k or so, the valve clearances don't change much. they should be checked at least every 6k to avoid problems.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
What tools are needed to check the valves on your own? Anyway to save money and buy more carbon fiber I'm game for.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Being that I'm very new to this, what does that item cost and is it difficult to use?
A feeler gauge is simply a length of metal of a precise width.. you usually keep a set of them of different widths.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need a very fine feeler gauge. Check out Ducatitech.com to see the kinds of clearences you'll be measuring before you buy one. Just decide...if you check them and they need adjustin' are you going to do it on your own or take it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
835 Posts
IMHO you shouldn't try to adjust your valves unless you know what you are doing. And if you don't know what a feeler is, you obviously don't know how to use it. (No slam intended)
Desmo valves are more complicated to adjust/check than "normal" valves. And doing it wrong can cause major damage.
Food for thought.
Wasn't Major Damage the officer in charge of bent rocker arms? Can't remember. :D

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
gotta say i agree with Pogo. if you want to do it yourself, get someone to walk you through it that has experience. valve to tight = valve job in a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I do the valves myself and the first time is rather long and a bit tedious but once you got it it's easy.

You will not do any damage if you mess because you're adjusting tolerance only. Meaning if you set a .60mm gap instead of .10mm for one opener for example the engine will not run properly that's it, and yet depending on rpm; you won't break anything at all. You may break valve or valve seat if you set a closing shim that's too big and ride the bike like that, but you will hear it right away and will have the intelligence to stop the engine and rework the shim. Same thing if you drop half-rings in the oil drain, nothing will happen, it falls all the way down till it gets stuck to the oil plug magnet.

You need plenty of tools if you have none at all : many wrenches, feeler gauges, crank turning tool, digital caliper and micrometer, WoD sand papers (if you want to fine tune the closing shims and get them with <.01mm clearance)... Most importantly I advise you get a 2 valve shim kit or you'll end up going back and forth to the shop and that's a pain. Browse ebay everything can be bought there for cheap.

The 2nd time, you'll do your valves in 4 hours or less.

Cheers!

2 great urls :
http://www.ducatitech.com/

http://www.ducatisuite.com/

·
Registered
68 Posts
Funny you should mention browsing Ebay for shim kit. I just picked one up yesterday for a very good price. I was the only bidder, you can't get much better than that.
The kit I got is a lot smaller than a factory kit and a lot less expensive. It comes with 15 opening shims and 19 closing shims plus a closing shim measuring tool. Opening shims range from 2.80mm to 4.2mm, closing from 6.2 to 8.0 both in .10mm increments.
The closest dealer to me that carries Duc shims is 40 miles away so finding this kit was outstanding. :)

The place I got it from does have a web site: www.emsduc.com

I'm not affiliated with this dealer in anyway, I just thought it was a pretty good deal an I'd pass it along.

Mark

·
Registered
31 Posts
There you go! I got mine there too ;D Nice shim kit indeed.

Now maybe we should stay in touch so we could trade shims when needed.

+

·
Registered
62 Posts
contact www.emsduc.com and tell him you saw him on the board. he was giving discounts to board members.

·
Banned
897 Posts
If you have a shim kit that's incremented at .10, and your lookin' for tolerances of .01, ain't that a little bit of grinding on those poor shims.........

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
If you have a shim kit that's incremented at .10, and your lookin' for tolerances of .01, ain't that a little bit of grinding on those poor shims.........
duc recommended clearances

intake: opener .05mm - 1.2mm
closer .03mm -.20mm

exhaust: opener .05 - .15mm
closer .03 - .20

duc OEM shims are available from 2-5 mm thick in .05 mm steps, and from 4.2 - 4.7 mm in 1 mm intervals

based on this, emsduc's shims should work fine. i cannot write on the quality of his product either way, as i have no experience with it. i do think if there was a problem with his shims, we would hear about it.

many folks use tighter specs, like ducati used in the olden days. see http://www.ducatitech.com/

·
Registered
62 Posts
not as much as you might think. It also doesn't cost $2000 like the DP kit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts