Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions for the experts:

- feeler gauges - do they have to be offset? If so what angle? Offset variety seems to start at .008", but I think I need at least .002" - right? Or will the normal straight ones work fine on 2-valve heads? Does anybody have a source for offset .002" gauges?

- all digital calipers that I can find have .001" accuracy - is this good enough?

- do I need both caliper and micrometer or is either one sufficient alone?

Again, if anyone has a good source for all these - that would be great. I am looking at mcmaster.com, but maybe there's a better source?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Feeler guages- For 2V adjustement, straight ones work fine. Most straight sets go down to .001 in.

Accuracy- Its always nice to have more accurate measurements, but the calipers and micrometers that have accuracy greater than .001 can be very expensive. You can do a good job with .001 accuracy.

Calipers and Micrometer?- A caliper can be used to measure the closing shim with a closer measurement tool. The opening shim has a blind hole in one side. You can either use a micrometer to get inside the hole or you can put the closer measurement tool inside the blind hole and use a caliper to measure the opening shim thickness. This assumes that the closer measurement tool will fit into the blind hole of the opening shim. There are many out there and some do and some dont. If it doesnt then you must have a micrommeter to measure the opening shim.

McMaster Carr- I think they are a good source for the measuring instruments. Price is usually reasonable.

Mike Guidera
2V and 4V Adjustment Shim Kits

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I'd see if I could get fealers that have one blade at 1 1/2 thou, so you con get the 1/2 thou increment.

if you are only going to use the measurement tools for doing the valves, I'd go for the micrometer. The calipers are more versatile for other jobs because you can measure inside holes n stuff, but the mic is more acurate and has the bonus that it fits into the shims for easy measurement.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
is there a tutorial somewhere for valve adjustment?

nevermind... i just found ducatisuite.com and ducatitech.com

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would like to learn how to do this. I live in the pacific northwest. Idaho specifically. Any group gatherings or willing teachers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts